• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

"Frequency over range" on Viewsonic G220fb CRT

reddhaus

Limp Gawd
Joined
Feb 25, 2005
Messages
287
The specs on my monitor say it can run 1600x1200 @ 85 Hz.

The desktop runs fine on that setting but during games like BF2, Fear, NFSMW, and HL2, the monitor goes black and give me a message that says "frequency over range".

Has anyone else had this type of thing happen?

Would this be caused by the monitor or a graphics card?

I have talked to people at both Viewsonic and EVGA. They don't seem to want to diagnose the problem. Both suggested doing RMA's on the respective componets.

If I change my settings to 1600x1200 @ 75 Hz this error happens less.....but it still happens.
 
I may have found the problem.

This may be helpful to others in the future.

I created my own Nvidia game profiles for each game. I believe the premade profiles use alternate frame rendering. I wanted the most eyecandy possible so I decided to use SLI antialiasing instead of alternate frame rendering.

Since I have been having these "frequency over range" problems I decided to give the premade profiles another run. I played Need For Speed Most Wanted, Battlefield 2, and Fear for a good hour each with no problems.

Seems as though there is some kind of conflict with SLI AA and my monitor.

That sux but at least I know what is to blame.
 
glad you got the problem nailed. I was just wondering how you like this monitor. It's a shadowmask crt i beleive, and the tube isn't completely flat, but the screen is. Correct?

How does the text look at the edges, compared to the center? I was thinking of picking one of these out but i'm used to the aperature grille trinitron displays, and havent had too much first hand experience with a shadowmask.

How do you like it? Would you reccomend? How does it compare to other monitors, such as an aperature grille display? Thanks
 
RegisteredToPost said:
glad you got the problem nailed. I was just wondering how you like this monitor. It's a shadowmask crt i beleive, and the tube isn't completely flat, but the screen is. Correct?

How does the text look at the edges, compared to the center? I was thinking of picking one of these out but i'm used to the aperature grille trinitron displays, and havent had too much first hand experience with a shadowmask.

How do you like it? Would you reccomend? How does it compare to other monitors, such as an aperature grille display? Thanks


I really like this monitor. My previous monitor was a Sony Trinitron Multiscan 17sf that I bought about 14 years ago........... :D

So, needless to say, this was a big step up. The Sony was a flatscreen and still had a nice picture but I just needed something better to go with my new system.

You are correct about the tube not being perfectly flat. The "screen" is flat. I thought this was strange but oh well. I have not noticed any difference between center screen and outer edge. Picture quality is great in my opinion.

I would recommend this monitor to anyone.

Viewsonic has another model that is a step up from this and doesn't seem to be to much more expensive. The new one has a bit smaller dot pitch (.20) and it supports higher refresh rates. I think it will do 1600x1200 at 100Hz. I was thinking about selling mine to my brother and getting this new one. I have been wanting to go LCD but I just don't think I would be happy with the performance yet.

I will most likely stick with what I have for now and just keep an eye on the progress of LCD's
 
Back
Top