Freezing for a couple seconds

Samuraiguy

n00b
Every so often my computer will freeze for just a couple seconds and then work normally. It doesn't seem to be so much the computer but just my mouse. For example, in counter strike i could still walk forward and such, but I couldn't move my crosshair for a couple seconds. This happens in and out of game. I just reformatted so I don't have much on here. I have sygate, avast!, aim, xfire, and steam normally running but I've turned off avast!, aim, and xfire and it still happened. Any idea of why it's doing this?

Did you load the chipset drivers for your motherboard first, after the install?

djnes said:
Did you load the chipset drivers for your motherboard first, after the install?

If your using a Nvidia chipset the IDE drivers can mess things up. You could try uninstalling them. What are your specs?

Yeah I loaded the Nvidia motherboard drivers first.

My specs are:

A8N-SLI
AMD Athlon 64 3500+
Radeon X1800XT 512MB
1.5GB pc3200 RAM
X-FI Xtrememusic Soundcard
Logitech MX 510 mouse

Just for giggle's uninstall only the IDE drivers and see what happens.

I uninstalled the IDE drivers and it's still happening. Ocassionally it'll make that noise it makes when you unplug and then plug in a usb device.

At this point, I'd probably try these tests in this order:

1) Memtest
2) HDD diag test (unlikely, but never hurts to check)
3) PSU swap...also unlikely but can't hurt to try if you have a spare.

Do you have another mouse you can try? Try it with a PS2 adapter and normal USB. What other peripherals do you have plugged in via USB?

I can't find my adapter (I've had this mouse for awhile) and the only other thing I have plugged in is my printer. I highly doubt my mouse is faulty because it worked perfect before I reformatted. It's making that noise when a usb device is removed and inserted a lot.

In my old PC i had the same exact problem, to me the problem was with the MB sound card. I noticed that the freezes and some sounds in the game where simultaneous. I retrieved an old PCI sound card from another PC installed it and fixed the problem. The weird thing is that i reinstalled Windows and the problem disappeared, i still use both soundcards in that PC by the way. So it might be a problem with hardware or try to reinstall Windows. On PC´s that have worked fine for some time, suden problems are caused by OS degradation.

Another freeze i´ve seen on a notebook, but not in CS is caused by the WZC wireless connectivity service, it searches every minute or so for wireless connections and freezed my winamp every once in a while.

Back