• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Freezing and boot problems

Seldorin

n00b
Joined
Mar 26, 2007
Messages
44
This is the 2nd time I have experienced this issue and I am trying to troubleshoot what it is so if anyone can help direct me I would greatly appreciate it. Anyway, recently and once before, my computer started to freeze intermittently (work, freeze for a second, repeat), until it just froze at which point I restarted and I received a disk read error and was unable to boot into xp. It sounded like a hard drive error, but just in case, I turned back all my settings to stock and restarted. Same deal. I then rebooted using my other hard drive with Vista Ultimate and managed to back up all my files on the hard drive that wasn't booting. I reformatted the drive and installed windows xp again and it had worked like a charm. However, yesterday, the same thing occurred and this time resulted in a blue screen after several restarts and running CHKDSK. My other drive with Vista would also not boot. Could this be an overclocking problem? Or is it a hard drive problem? I've been using WD Raptors for a long time and didn't think they would be this troublesome. Anyway, the rest of my specs are in my signature. Thanks in advance for the opinions and advice.
 
It could be an overclocking issue, and an easy way to find out if that is the case would be to back down to a lower speed and see whether or not the issue still occurs.
 
Yeah, I set it back to stock when this occurred and it didn't fix anything. So far it seems to be a random occurrence as my computer is working fine as I am typing this but I don't have high hopes for that to last very long. Would overclocking even cause a "Hard Disk Read Error" on startup?
 
I've had overclocking do some strange things, so I wouldn't rule out the possibility of it causing that error.
 
i'm ruling out hdd problem since same thing is happening to a different drive.

could be:

ram
psu
mobo

but i'm betting that it's your ram. you may want to swap it out with a different set/single stick and check again.
 
I would check the ram too. I've seen ram issues disguise themselves as almost anything.
 
Back
Top