Freezes with 7900GS OC

Unabomber

Supreme [H]ardness
Howdy to y'all...

My Opteron 146-based system has been acting up a lot lately. These are the stats:

Gigabyte K8N SLI (nForce4 SLI chipset)
2 pieces of 1 GB PC3200 Crucial DDR SDRAM
Western Digital 250 GB SATA drive (7200 RPM, 16 MB cache)
Soundblaster X-Fi Gamer
D-Link DWL-G510 wireless network card
BFG GeForce 7900GS OC PCI-express video card
XClio Goodpower 500 watt power supply

I've been having a lot of intermittent freezes when running most OpenGL-based applications, whether they're games or molecular modelling. I've tried swapping out CPU's, motherboards, even memory, hard drives, etc., and even stripping things down to as bare-bones as possible, but the freezes still occur.

Most D3D apps also freeze, although it's odd the way things happen. When I play a demanding game such as Neverwinter Nights 2, with lots of detail turned up, the game is fine, and I don't get any freezes. When I play something like Half Life2 or the original Half-Life (either D3D or OpenGL), I get the freezes.

Basically, the game will seize up for about 10-20 seconds, while the sound continually loops. Eventually, it unfreezes.

What did work, though, was when I replaced the video card with my old GeForce 6600 GT PCI-e card. Now the freezes don't happen anymore at all.

I doubt it's my power supply, since this power supply was previously powering up twin GeForce 6800 GT video cards without a hitch.

What do y'all think? Bad video card? Or am I missing something on the software side?

Thanks!

Well I'll be...

As it turns out, it was the power supply, after all. Strange indeed...

I replaced the XClio 500 watt Goodpower unit, with a XClio 450 watt unit, and now everything is 100% stable, even in the most demanding of rendering.

On one hand, I'm somewhat irritated at myself for taking this long to figure it out. On the other hand, I'm certainly glad that I won that eBay auction for the 450 watter at a dirt cheap price...

Back