Freezes on Boot after Vista SP2 Update

kilgore777

Gawd
I have Vista 32-bit Home Premium. I never had a problem until I upgraded to SP2. Now, my PC freezes on bootup (at splash screen with the progress bar). Of course, this does not occur all the time, but it is annoying.

I created a restore point before the upgrade, but afterward, all the old restore points were gone (damn it!). I would simply restore if I could...

I suspect a driver is not properly loading. I have tried unplugging each one of my USB devices (one at a time) and have had freezes (at some point) each time.

My question - how can I diagnose the problem? Is there a log file somewhere that would help? Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance.

if you unplug your network cable ..or turn off your wireless device ..does it still hang on boot up? ..and if you let the "freeze" go long enough, do you eventually get into windows?

which gfx drivers are you using? if its the 185.xx drivers.. update to the 186.18 or down grade to the 182.xx drivers.. because the 185.xx drivers have a ton of bugs in it.. especially with USB hardware..

which gfx drivers are you using? if its the 185.xx drivers.. update to the 186.18 or down grade to the 182.xx drivers.. because the 185.xx drivers have a ton of bugs in it.. especially with USB hardware..

I am using 180.48. I need to get off my ass an update to the latest - do you think that would help?

Edit: OMG, I just realized how old these drivers are..... you're probably laughing at me! (Stop that!). I will update them tonight.....

if you unplug your network cable ..or turn off your wireless device ..does it still hang on boot up? ..and if you let the "freeze" go long enough, do you eventually get into windows?

I haven't tried unplugging the network cable - will try that next. I don't have any wireless devices.

When it hangs, it completely freezes. I have to warm boot to get windows to start. It usually boots completely the second time.

Last edited:
Back