Freezer

DREW10

Weaksauce
hey.....would it be possible to put a window in this freezer??????http://www.compactappliance.com/xq/...howTab.Specs/qx/shopping/product/product.html
I want to use it too cool the water in a watercooling loop, but i saw somebody put a black light and UV reactive water and stuff in thier frig....and i want to do something similar......I think they had a wine cooler instead of a frig......but i want a freezer and cant find one with a window :rolleyes: ......what do you guys think????

DREW

Hmm, you'd have to do some researching on freezer units themselves rather than asking case modders :)

Mini fridges such as this will likely not maintain the constant low temperature needed for you to cool your cpu factoring in the heat generated from the cpu.

First of all, that little refrigerator WILL NOT continuously cool a computer.

Second of all, no freezers have windows because windows are horrible insulators. You would need some sort of double-pane window system with the middle evacuated and filled with argon or something. You cannot simply replace the door with a piece of glass or plexiglass.

It is doable and I would love to see the results, but I think you will be really disappointed.

And make sure that freezer is not a Peltier cooled unit, a lot of the real mini dorm units are. Otherwise better plan on putting it into another freezer to get the heat of the Peltier if you use it for continuous cooling of your PC.

If... you want to use a freezer to cool you water, you will need to do;
#1 get a digital controller to regulate the freezer temps.
#2 Get a freezer that will handle the load,( the 1 in your link will not).
#3 Insulate your water lines.
#4 After you have done all this, think of all the $ you just spent, that could have went to a good drop in probe chiller and controller. :)

Big Lar said:
#4 After you have done all this, think of all the $ you just spent, that could have went to a good drop in probe chiller and controller. :)
Or a much faster processor than probably what could be achieved from overclocking.

The fact of the matter is;
If you want the absolute friggin Highest OC of your life, go extreme... if you want a very very good OC to run stble daily in all apps, cool the fluid to within 15F of your highest ambient, and enjoy... It's less stress that way.
Besides, no matter what you do, face it, someone will always be faster.

what is a drop in probe????
and what freezer could handle that load????

DREW

that freezer will handle that load :d if done properly I had a $64 fridge from walmart and a modified Thermal take block with a high flow pump and I had a 1200 t-bird mobile running 1680 1.9volts with a constant temp of -10 C under full load running folding@home and Seti@home (That is in the neighborhood of 120 watts of heat dissipation 24-7 :D) it just depends on how you set things up :D the only problem that I had with mine was the compressor would get quite warm so I bought a 12" box fan and placed it so it would blow over the compressor to keep it cool and it helped quit a bit, that was 6-8 months ago and the fridge is still running (for those of you that dont remember it was featured on the front page of [H]ard|ocp

DREW10 said:
what is a drop in probe????
and what freezer could handle that load????

DREW

As for the drop in Probe, Its basically an Aquarium Chiller, not the recirculating kind, but with a stainless probe, that you drop into the rez.
1 needs to have thier return line to the rez pushing the fluid over the probe tho, as if not, the probe just remains a big glob of ice :D
You can find them at times on egay, for a reasonable price. I picked up my Brinkman Lauda for $125.00 shipped there.

IU found my freezer that can keep up with it......-20C..yes C..Freezer .....500 but i wouldnt be doing it this year so i can save up.......and with -20C it might cool more than a peltier......and maybe a little cheaoer too....

DREW

DREW10 said:
IU found my freezer that can keep up with it......-20C..yes C..Freezer .....500 but i wouldnt be doing it this year so i can save up.......and with -20C it might cool more than a peltier......and maybe a little cheaoer too....

DREW
That doesn't mean jack shit when you apply a constant heat load on the compressor. Sure it can cool food down to -20 degrees C, but that might take a few hours. You really need to look at the size of the compressor to determine if it will be able to handle the load you will be placing on it. I can walk 20 miles but I cannot walk 20 miles every hour for several hours. For $500 you can build a much better system than hacking together a freezer. Most people do the minifridge idea because either they already have one or they are cheap to get. Once you start getting into the expensive stuff you might as well just build a custom refrigeration system.

alright......we live in FL, so a few weeks ago when charlie came through my mom put all the frozen stuff into one freezer....so if the power went out there would be more mass of frozen food and it would stay frozen longer............well, that got me thinking...if i froze copper coils in water big enough to fit in the freezer(just a regular freezer) the ice would cool the the water and the freezer would keep the ice frozen(i would set it so it freezes just below 32F).....and the big block of ice would stay ice longer.....so the freezer would not have to work as long......

DREW

and what if i took out the evaporator(or whatever does the cooling(not a frig dude)) and put it on the coils then freeze a block of water around it(like my other post)......just thinking out loud ;) .....
DREW

Here is what the probe looks like.
IMG_0056.JPG

DREW10 said:
alright......we live in FL, so a few weeks ago when charlie came through my mom put all the frozen stuff into one freezer....so if the power went out there would be more mass of frozen food and it would stay frozen longer............well, that got me thinking...if i froze copper coils in water big enough to fit in the freezer(just a regular freezer) the ice would cool the the water and the freezer would keep the ice frozen(i would set it so it freezes just below 32F).....and the big block of ice would stay ice longer.....so the freezer would not have to work as long......

DREW
Your food does not put off heat. Your computer does. If your compressor cannot keep up with your computer's heat load then a block of ice will not help one bit. It will only delay the inevitable. Back to the drawing board(or thermodynamics class).

looked on ebay cant find them anybody else no where to find them?????????

I found this is it kinda the same thing.....or should i start saving my money for 1800 ;) :rolleyes: ........hey big lar ill buy that thing from you for 250....

DREW

Holy shit $1800!! For that much you could pay someone to custom design something for you, and that would probably be much better than that probe.

Stop getting so hung up on just one solution. Think about what you want to do and then from there you can figure out what equipment you will need to do what you want to do.

They don't cost 1800.... Mine new I think goes for 8 or 9, look on ebay/ do a search for Chiller. You'll find them there, there is usually 2 or 3 a week. Like I say, if you watch for a good deal on 1, you can pick 1 up cheap, like I did.

Question:

Im obviously a N00b but I dont see the use of using phasechange to cool a watercooling setup. At least not when it starts to cost a lot. For me the simple way would to buy a Prometia or a Vapochill and use the Phasechange to cool the CPU direct.

The thing is for a vapo, or prom., can you cool the vid and or other components at the same time, from the same source?

Nope - and thats why I am extremly happy about the new AMD architechture w/o a NorthBridge. That means that if I use my Vapo for the CPU and Good Air cooling for the GPU Ill arrive at a good compromise. From what I have seen (correct me if I am wrong) there is not That Much to be gained from extreme cooling the GPU. With a Good HSF comb U can do a lot.

hey...i emailed brinkmann asking how much that immersion cooler is and here is his response:
Hi Drew,

I received a request from my office to quote you on our ETK-30
immersion
cooler. The list price on the unit is $2795. I am happy to offer you
a
10% discount to make the price -$2515.50.

As Roger mentioned, we sell through both VWR and Fisher Scientific -
often
times they offer more competitive terms/discounts. The part number is
65 882-2, which either distributor can use to get you a quotation.

If you need a formal quote, please email me your company information
(co.
name, address, phone number, fax #).

Thanks,
Drew

Back