Freezer 7 Pro Pre Applied Grease

BIOS9

n00b
I just recently bought a Freezer 7 Pro. I was surprised to find out that it came with pre applied thermal grease. Wanting to utilize my newly bought Arctic Silver instead, I scraped it off and cleaned what was left of it with a paper cloth. Unsurprisingly, it left a grey mark on the copper surface. I began to wonder if this would interfere with my Arctic Silver. So I ask you, denizens of [H]:

Will the seemingly miniscule amount of residue left from the previously applied thermal grease negatively affect heat transfer between the CPU --> Arctic Silver ---> Previous Residue --> Heatsink?

If so, will the remaining residue even make enough of a difference to matter?

If so, how could I completely elimate all (or most) traces of the residue? Preferably by use of household items...

Thanks a million guys, and sorry for being such a noob.
(And such a worry wart...)

grab a lint-free cloth (coffee filter, glasses cleaning cloth) and some rubbing alcohol (preferably 90% purity or above, though I've been using 70% and it's fine). That'll take it right off. Make sure you clean off your processor with the alcohol as well.

I woulda left it as the preapplied stuff works extremely well (I have a 64 pro, same model but for a socket 939 CPU

Where do all these noobs get information saying AS5 is better than MX-1. I keep seeing threads where people want to remove the stock pastes and apply AS5 instead. People, the stock pastes are usually shin etsu or Mx-1. They are better than AS5, stop removing stock pastes. :p

^^^^ some links to support your claims? Really its not hard to believe but I would like to see it.

I have seen several independant test where as5 reigns supreme by about 1deg C at idle and 2 to 3 deg C at load. None of these test are even really above the margin of error since any one who has done it, knows that aplying the pastes is some what of an art in it self.

Since most of those tests have been done, better pastes have come out. The Shin Etsu stuff is by far the best in the world. It's mainly OEM material, however, so it's really tough to get ahold of it. As the above poster said, the paste coparisons are pretty flawed... As thermal sensors can only be so accurate, and AS5 has a 300hr burn in period.

The STG-1 is, IMO, consistantly better than AS5... Same with the MX1.

To the OP, clean with 70%+ ISO.alcohol and any sort of cloth. Lintfree etc. isn't necessary but it wont hurt.

i am suprised we dont have gold paste yet or platinum. i know a diamond and carbon nanofiber exist but, they are no better then normal paste.

you know if they made a gold paste charge 50$ for 3g of paste and it is 1c better then any other thermal paste it would sell pretty well.

Back