freeware virtual machine

Malikman

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey are there any freeware virtual machine programs that i wouuld be able to run any Linux Distro off of. I don't have the money to pay for a virtual machine program and i need to program in linux for class and i was trying to figure out how to do this without having three operating systems on my compouter which i did before but i don't know how fast i could do it again.

I own a macbook pro btw so it needs to be for Macintosh.

Thanks,
Kamron

I was about to suggest VMWare player until you mentioned Mac OS. In that case, I wish you luck with OS X ports of QEMU or Xen.

I have seen VMWare Fusion for $30 after rebate if you don't mind spending a few bucks.

I believe VirtualBox will have an OSX version soon. The Windows version works great, and it's free.

Virtualbox is currently in Beta 2 for Mac OS X (Intel based).

Do you need Linux specifically to program, like you're actually modifying and building the kernel? In college my friend got away with just programming in OS X for courses like computer networking.

Anyway, VBox is probably stable enough to use for your purposes, and should be easier to set up than the other free alternatives.

I am pretty sure i will need to use linux specifically and wont' be able to use the OS X

Back