Freeware firewall for really slow win 98 based comp?

oqvist

[H]F Junkie
Need a firewall for a p 2 400 with 64 mb of RAM and win 98

Has to be freeware.

Kerio might do the trick- a shade under 5mb ram used here.

ZA worked for ages on our pentium 200 with 32mb... but that was in the olden days when ZA was somewhat simpler. None of this Fisher-Price crap.

Tiny Personal Firewall 2.0.15

But you MUST add a rule that blocks incoming TCP on port 44334 and you can not ever run the firewall 'disabled' with that computer connected directly to "the net".

This is due to a remote-exploit.

Why is everyone saying Kerio? That one costs money.

Well I choosed one from webroot that had a month free trial. Should be better than noone at least.

Got AVG 6.00 free edition for antivirus and Spysweeper for spy blocking.

Running spy sweeper I had only 2300 traces and at least 6 spyware programs running like Alexa Gator and such. Guess that is what happens when your mcafee update service expires and you don´t have run av programs for years :D That was on modem so it isn´t as bad as if I had broadband back then but...

Originally posted by oqvist
Why is everyone saying Kerio? That one costs money.

http://www.kerio.com/kpf_download.html
Kerio Personal Firewall is FREE for home and personal use. For corporate use please see the pricing and licensing policies section.

Limited free edition
For home users, Kerio Personal Firewall 4 is available in two flavors - the full edition and the limited free edition.

After installation, KPF works as the full edition for 30 days, after which it becomes the limited free edition.

Limited free edition does not provide the content filtering capabilities such as blocking pop-up windows, ads, VB scripts, cookies, etc. and other extra features. Please see the comparison table for more details.

check this thread for freeware aps that will cover those other features, often with more control or just plain better

kerio removed it but v2.1.5 is the best and was the free for personal use

v4/5 have turned into nothing but bloated trial

Back