Freeware Bandwidth Limiter needed

• Thread starter Deleted member 143938
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 143938

Hello all.

I have a small problem:
My house has three computers connected to the router, two of which are wireless. Now those two wireless computers are often used for multimedia stuff like downloading, uploading, youtubing, web camming, etc. My main computer is used for gaming.

The problem is, even with simple Youtube working on one computer, my latency in games shoots up significantly and I'd like to be able to control it. The media is not a priority at all, as a matter of fact, the gaming is. I'd like to keep the ping constant or as minimal as possible, and for this I'd need to limit the amount of bandwidth allocated to the two wireless computers.

I tried setting up QoS but it doesn't seem to do the trick/work at all.

I know NetLimiter can do this, but it is not free and I'm not looking for a trial or to put money into this.

So if anyone knows of a free one, I'd be much interested.

What are you using for a router now? You mentioned QoS settings, it is possible that QoS isn't configured properly.

You can always look at using a *nix distro like pfsense or untangle or astaro home and throw it on an old computer and use that as your router. Much better QoS and bandwidth limiting features than what you will find on a home router.

What are you using for a router now? You mentioned QoS settings, it is possible that QoS isn't configured properly.

You can always look at using a *nix distro like pfsense or untangle or astaro home and throw it on an old computer and use that as your router. Much better QoS and bandwidth limiting features than what you will find on a home router.

Don't have a spare computer to set up a linux firewall on.

I configured QoS to the best of my ability, but I think only by IP/Mac addresses.

i.e my IP/MAC address gets the highest bandwidth, the two others are set to low.

My router is a Netgear WNDR3300, fairly new

You should be able to configure it by port and by protocol. Set your games to highest priority. Set HTTP (< 100KB) to high priority. Set HTTP (> 100KB) to medium or low priority. Set the default class to medium.

(Note that I have not used that router - you can check if it supports DD-WRT or something if the stock firmware doesn't do this)

Back