Freesync Video Player?

HybridHB

[H]ard|Gawd
Are there any freesync supported video players? If my monitor supports a freesync range of 30-75 and play a file thats 24 fps, it should frame double to 48fps and actually display at 48 fps. I havent been able to find anything that does this. Anyone know of something that can do this?

I was under the impression that FreeSync (and even G-Sync) only work in 3D applications..While it would be awesome to accelerate 2D video, I don't think its possible at this time..One thing you could do is use the Smooth Video Project player, which plays files @ 60FPS, just need a ton of CPU power..

Yep.
SVP is very good, especially if you change "Artifact Masking" to Strongest but as said above, it needs a powerful PC.
Without changing this setting, when there is fast motion there is a blocky halo around some objects.
Once it is changed, its a superb experience.
(to change this, when the video is playing with SVP active, double click the SVP icon in the tray and the profile for the movie resolution you are playing will pop up. Change it for each res you use.)

I use SVP for everything except 1080p 3D because the hardware cant do it.
(full 1080p 3D frame doubled requires 2x HDMI 1.4 bandwidth / 120Hz 1080p)
It works great with 1/2 res 1080p 3D like SBS or OU.

Its a complex piece of kit but they made it simple to install, well worth trying.
I told it to install MadVR and have tweaked the settings for that as well.
It installs and uses Media Player Classic Home Cinema but supposedly can be used in other media players as well, although I havent tried.

To change the configs for the installed components like LAV audio and MadVR, when a movie is playing, right click on the movie screen and goto "filters".
All the components are found there.

https://www.svp-team.com/wiki/Main_Page
And its free!

I was under the impression that FreeSync (and even G-Sync) only work in 3D applications..While it would be awesome to accelerate 2D video, I don't think its possible at this time..One thing you could do is use the Smooth Video Project player, which plays files @ 60FPS, just need a ton of CPU power..

GPUs are used to decode video, too. According to Wikipedia and a bunch of AMD Freesync marketing:
Dynamically adapts the display refresh rate to fixed video content frame rate for a power efficient and stutter-free video playback with anything over 30FPS.
I haven't seen anyone actually test it out though.

Im a purist so using svp isnt an option for me. Creating a custom resolution isnt an option either as 24 fps was just an example, some material is in 23.976 fps, etc. Having a VRR monitor solves a lot of issues with video playback but nothing seems to take advantage of it so far.

Do you have a list of video players that you want me to test FreeSync with? I know at the moment FreeSync does not have the frame/hz doubling feature - but if our monitor hits 30Hz while playing the video we know its working.

Thank-you!

I just tried AMD Fluid Motion Video and it does a pretty good job of smoothing things out without making it look artificial. Im not sure if Ill keep it on all of the time yet, ill continue to test it.

Peter - Thanks but I have a freesync monitor I've been testing with various players (MPC-HC, VLC, WMP) and nothing seems to work. I test with a 60 fps video and my monitor always stays at 75hz.
Side Note - This is just feedback about VRR ranges in general, but if the minimum target is 30 fps is it possible to target 29 fps instead? I posted about this somewhere else but the problem is that games that cap at 30 fps actually run at 29.x fps which is outside of the VRR range (for displays with a range of 30-x) and results in tearing.

Do you have a list of video players that you want me to test FreeSync with? I know at the moment FreeSync does not have the frame/hz doubling feature - but if our monitor hits 30Hz while playing the video we know its working.

Thank-you!

May I ask when are larger FreeSync monitors coming out from your company? I have a decent Samsung that I've owned for awhile, but I'm always looking to try something new. I would like my next monitor to be 40" and 4K at least. Reasonably priced would be a plus. :) :) :)

I just tried AMD Fluid Motion Video and it does a pretty good job of smoothing things out without making it look artificial. Im not sure if Ill keep it on all of the time yet, ill continue to test it.

Peter - Thanks but I have a freesync monitor I've been testing with various players (MPC-HC, VLC, WMP) and nothing seems to work. I test with a 60 fps video and my monitor always stays at 75hz.
Side Note - This is just feedback about VRR ranges in general, but if the minimum target is 30 fps is it possible to target 29 fps instead? I posted about this somewhere else but the problem is that games that cap at 30 fps actually run at 29.x fps which is outside of the VRR range (for displays with a range of 30-x) and results in tearing.

I know you have to play the video in full screen mode and wait at least 10 seconds for the mouse curser and video menus to go away. FreeSync/Adaptive-Sync does not work in window or borderless window mode at the moment.

I will do some digging and report back - I remember using Metro Media Player to validate FreeSync for watching "video" instead of gaming.

In regards to Frame/Hz doubling, it is a feature that AMD is looking into.

May I ask when are larger FreeSync monitors coming out from your company? I have a decent Samsung that I've owned for awhile, but I'm always looking to try something new. I would like my next monitor to be 40" and 4K at least. Reasonably priced would be a plus. :) :) :)

It is some options we are looking into - but validation periods are long for both regular monitors and FreeSync monitors. Larger size IPS monitors and resolutions higher than 2560x1440 is our main core business - Even so, if AMD does not certify it - we have to weigh the risks of releasing it just as an "Adaptive-Sync' monitor. I will let you know once I have something concrete.

I know you have to play the video in full screen mode and wait at least 10 seconds for the mouse curser and video menus to go away. FreeSync/Adaptive-Sync does not work in window or borderless window mode at the moment.

I will do some digging and report back - I remember using Metro Media Player to validate FreeSync for watching "video" instead of gaming.

In regards to Frame/Hz doubling, it is a feature that AMD is looking into.

I have been testing in full screen mode with no ui. MPC-HC even has a "D3D Full Screen Mode" option which didnt work either. I just tried metro media player pro and it totally works! The free version doesnt support mkv's though. I wonder what MMP Pro is doing that makes it work with freesync? Ive tried changing the rendering methods of the other players and they never work (DXVA, software, etc).

*Edit - MMP Pro seems to have some support for frame doubling baked in. I have two different files, one is an avi with 23.976 fps and another thats a mp4 in 23.976 fps. The mp4 will playback at 48hz but the avi playback is at 75hz since its out of range. This player is interesting for sure.

Last edited:
I have been testing in full screen mode with no ui. MPC-HC even has a "D3D Full Screen Mode" option which didnt work either. I just tried metro media player pro and it totally works! The free version doesnt support mkv's though. I wonder what MMP Pro is doing that makes it work with freesync? Ive tried changing the rendering methods of the other players and they never work (DXVA, software, etc).

*Edit - MMP Pro seems to have some support for frame doubling baked in. I have two different files, one is an avi with 23.976 fps and another thats a mp4 in 23.976 fps. The mp4 will playback at 48hz but the avi playback is at 75hz since its out of range. This player is interesting for sure.

Yes, Metro Player works with FreeSync/Adaptive-Sync

AMD recommended me to use Metro Player to test video playback with FreeSync and I remembered our monitors running at 48Hz - I just verified that the file I was playing back was avi and at 23.976 or 24fps (I thought it was a 48fps file) - "Big Buck Bunny" at 1080p. Try that video file or similar type if you can find one.

Well learned something new. So the Pro version was only $1.49. Thanks for the information!

GPUs are used to decode video, too. According to Wikipedia and a bunch of AMD Freesync marketing:
I haven't seen anyone actually test it out though.

I am well aware that modern GPUs have fixed function encode/decoder logic baked directly into their silicon...I wasn't questioning the GPU's ability to do its decoding duties, just referring to the lack of FS support while playing back a 2D video file...

@Peter, thanks for the information about that media player and your results with it..I have been watching the FS market for a while now but am holding out for the newer crop of 4K and Ultrawide panels that are due out in the next year..

The crimson driver does what Ive been wanting all year! YAY! Crimsons LFC feature will frame multiply to get games/video into freesync range. MPC-HC and Kodi both work with freesync now. It does take a little bit of tweaking though, you must disable DXVA in each of the players to make it work.

The crimson driver does what Ive been wanting all year! YAY! Crimsons LFC feature will frame multiply to get games/video into freesync range. MPC-HC and Kodi both work with freesync now. It does take a little bit of tweaking though, you must disable DXVA in each of the players to make it work.

It really works? Is it just disabling DXVA in MPC-HC, Nothing else?

Great news!!

Yes it works. With MPC-HC you also have to make sure D3D Fullscreen Mode is enabled. I dont know if that setting was enabled by default or not.

Im a purist so using svp isnt an option for me. Creating a custom resolution isnt an option either as 24 fps was just an example, some material is in 23.976 fps, etc. Having a VRR monitor solves a lot of issues with video playback but nothing seems to take advantage of it so far.

The exact 23.976 fps is quite irrelevant. It will synch almost perfectly with 24fps, to a point that you will maybe get a single frame repeat in every two hours or something. If that thought is a problem just install Reclock, it will speed up the video to synch perfectly with the screen refresh rate. And in this case the speed up is so small that its impossible to perceive for human eyes and ears. It can also speed down PAL videos back down to 24fps which more often than not were originally sped up to 25fps to match PAL requirements.

Back