Freesync stopped working, anyone else?

Staples

Supreme [H]ardness
I have an Asus VG245H . 75hz/1080p . I bought it a year ago. At the time, everything worked except occasionally, the power would flicker on and off a few times (it was actually annoying now to think of it). Also, when resuming from sleep, I would often get an error from AMD that said there was a link error even though I tried multiple HDMI hi speed cables.

Now I don't experience either of those problems however Freesync has stopped working. I've toggled it on and off on the monitor and the AMD control panel. The drivers still can detect whether Freesync is on or off at the monitor level. I recently thought maybe it was just a Windows problem so I pulled out a new hard drive and installed Windows and I get the same results. I have even tried a new video card (RX560) and that did not work either.

So in conclusion, the monitor can do 75hz/1080p but can not utilize variable refresh rates.

After recounting the history, maybe I should have figured something was defective with the display rather than taken the "I can live with it" attitude.

Anyway, I'd like to know if anyone else has had Freesync monitor where Freesync has stopped working?

The only time freesync have seriously stopped working on me was due to rivatuner RTSS used to cap FPS and afterburner OSD... so I had to rely on AMD frame limiting to keep fps in control to be able to keep using the OSD.

Also AMD is known for sometimes release drivers that break entirely freesync. You may try with other versions of drivers and see how they behave.

Thanks for the advise. I pulled out a spare HDD and installed Windows and the most recent AMD drivers and Freesync did not work. Well, I have been spending way too much time with this issue. I installed Windows again and let it install an old driver from Windows update. And guess what? It works under the old drivers but not the most recent.

I’ve spent such a ridiculous time on this issue but I have proven what I wanted. Freesync can work under the right software configuration.

Thanks for the advise. I pulled out a spare HDD and installed Windows and the most recent AMD drivers and Freesync did not work. Well, I have been spending way too much time with this issue. I installed Windows again and let it install an old driver from Windows update. And guess what? It works under the old drivers but not the most recent.

I’ve spent such a ridiculous time on this issue but I have proven what I wanted. Freesync can work under the right software configuration.

yeah, AMD it's well known for such issue with the drivers and Freesync. you can try with the latest non-beta drivers (WHQL) and see if freesync is back.. or wait for later stable driver until it work, but not working freesync due driver is a typical case scenario.

Araxie

I like the frame counter on RTSS since it works in everything but if I install it and it causes problems with Freesync, will not running it/uninstalling it fix the problem?

Araxie

I like the frame counter on RTSS since it works in everything but if I install it and it causes problems with Freesync, will not running it/uninstalling it fix the problem?

with just having it closed should work.. is not truly necessary to unistall it.

Back