FreeSync Review

Pretty raving review from someone who spent a good amount of time with both gsync and freesync.

Now just waiting for my mg279q!

One thing I still don't get about freesync, I saw that the new Asus MG279Q is limited to 30-90hz, does that mean if the monitor is set to 144hz freesync wont function at all?

35 to 90

you dont "set it" to 144, you turn on async, and it follows the fps of the card.

Async disables itself after 90.

you have the choice of having it enable vsync, or not when its out of range.

If you are on the desktop, and at 144hz, then yes, i would be disabled, and reenable itself when the FPS falls within the proper range.

But who needs it on the desktop?

Ok that makes sense, thanks for the info.

edit: one more question once it disables itself at 90 would it go back to 144?

Last edited:
I have the Acer XG270HU arriving tomorrow. It's FreeSync range is 40-144hz. I can't wait!

Ok that makes sense, thanks for the info.

edit: one more question once it disables itself at 90 would it go back to 144?

if your destop res is 1440p, 144hz, then yes if would go back to 144 (or whatever you chose in-game, some allow refresh selection)

there will be tearing in games above 90 fps, so to stop that you can limit your fps to 89 with a program like MSI Afterburner so freesync can always work.

I have the Acer XG270HU arriving tomorrow. It's FreeSync range is 40-144hz. I can't wait!

I have that too, then I realized freesync doesn't work with Crossfire. But where will I get 144fps in 1440p without crossfire? Even with it I'd be happy to get 60-70 in some games.

Weird, I read it as Freesync has lots of Limitations that Gsync does not. In fact it looks like the only thing freesync has over gsync is it is free.

Freesync basically going down to 20FPS anytime FPS goes under 38FPS is a big big issue and dealbreaking to be honest.

freesync lives up to the age old adage

you get what you pay for

Weird, I read it as Freesync has lots of Limitations that Gsync does not. In fact it looks like the only thing freesync has over gsync is it is free.

Freesync basically going down to 20FPS anytime FPS goes under 38FPS is a big big issue and dealbreaking to be honest.

From the article:
While FreeSync is certainly not without its drawbacks, some of which are quite significant depending on your setup, I believe it has just as much (if not more) chance for success as G-SYNC. Nothing is stopping NVIDIA from using Adaptive Sync but it looks like there are certain protocols within the technology that need to be addressed before it can be considered a direct threat to their solution. With that being said, AMD's FreeSync (and by association DP Adaptive Sync) has done incredible things with a relatively immature standard and they have certainly given their users, and me, something to be excited about. I'm just not quite ready to pronounce a true winner in the image quality battle just yet.

FREESYNC-6.png

Reading their last paragraph and other pages I don`t think they would agree with you.

Thats a AMD slide and if you read the article he said it is totally wrong.

The performance is horrible, straight up.

Back