Freesync, enhanced sync, chill. WTF do I use?

y0bailey

Gawd
Alright...I've searched for hours and received about 100 different combinations of answers, mostly on reddit. Time to go to the experts.

I have a 1440p 144hz freesync monitor, Vega 56 flashed to 64. PUBG is my primary game right now, usually getting around 70-140 FPS in this shit-coded game with most things on low/very low except textures and AA.

I'm currently using Freesync and Enhanced Sync in combo, but I'm not sure this is best. Things look fine for me, no visible tearing, no complaints...but I just want to make sure that my research is correct and that this is what I should be using.

I thought that was the correct "combo" of options, but after reading more, I'm not sure enhanced sync is doing anything besides introducing some latency, as I've never gotten about 120-140 FPS in PUBG.

So, part of me wants to try CHILL to limit my FPS to 70-140, but not have any latency introduced.

Why is this so poorly documented. AMD needs to release an "IF, THEN" chart for us noobs to be able to piece this together.

You can go to the amd youtube channel :)

It should have a good deep dive on how Chill exactly works. It should not add latency if I recall correctly from the youtube is that it even allows faster response because of the states that Chill uses.

On enhanced sync I can't help out.

I would recommend using FreeSync for sure, and then disabling Enhanced Sync and Chill.

From what I've seen of Chill, it's more of a power saving feature and will actually net you a performance loss in gaming (but you can configure this). I guess some people might want to save power, reduce heat/noise, etc. but if you want performance, leave it off.

Enhanced Sync helps reduce latency when you are getting really high fps (for example, in esports titles). This is helpful because you can get latency close to having v-sync off, but generally without tearing. If you are getting fps near your refresh rate, this will mostly not help and may actually introduce stutter or other negative side-effects. I think this is the same as Nvidia Fast Sync, in that you want to be getting about twice the fps as your refresh rate to see any benefit. For example, on a 60Hz screen you'd want over 120fps to gain here. Otherwise there is not enough information for there to be a benefit.

Reactions: SoFGR
like this
Disable enhanced and chill. Crank your HBM clocks up to 1050/1100 if your card will handle it (every Samsung equipped VEGA I have all 6 of them will do 1095-1100).

I'd leave off the AMD optimized or whatever the default option is. And manually turn on freesync, and enhanced sync off. I had to mess with these options a shit load for Fallout 4. For a 60hz monitor I use freesync on, and vsync on. Works the best for my setup. For yours I'd probably avoid the vsync option. Chill did nothing but cause stability issues, so I don't use it.

Just an update...been rocking freesync + enhanced sync + chill in PUBG and things have been fantastic. Noise is down, it drops to my low limit 70fps when I'm just being a prone garbage-player then jumps above that with movement seamlessly. A bit more quiet outta the stock blow-dryer.

Would recommend giving Chill a try. Pretty cool feature.

Back