Freesync 2

tybert7

2[H]4U
Just read this on anandtech about amds new initiative with freesync 2

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10967...improving-ease-lowering-latency-of-hdr-gaming

Basically, they intend to have the gpu take over some of the tone mapping for the display in the place of the chips built into the display to cut down on latency when it comes to HDR. Apparently, the HDR chips are not always the quickest (wonder if that is the issue with the lg oleds?). Further, there will be stricter standards required to be considered a freesync 2 capable display, specifically in the area of the refresh ranges (they all need to support LFC which would expand the require variable refresh range for the displays by default. No more 40-60Hz windows for one of these labeled displays.

They say they will need to tap engine and game devs to help map hdr with this new process, but it does not sound time consuming at all. A sign of things to come while we wait for better HDR displays.

The jesus display would be a 2017 version of an lg oled around 40-70 inches in size range that supported freesync 2 and displayport. I think a 4k 40" lg oled with these features with a refresh of 30-120Hz would for under 1500 dollars would sell like crazy to the gaming crowd. I recently spent 700 on a 43" sony 4k tv to tide me over until the display makers got their shit together with HDR and larger 4k displays, if it was oled with freesync 2? I'd have spent more.

40" is tooooo big for most gamers at a desk.

27-34" is more practical to a great many people.

So repeat your wishlist on a smaller display and I'm game.

40" is tooooo big for most gamers at a desk.

27-34" is more practical to a great many people.

So repeat your wishlist on a smaller display and I'm game.
I agree with your assessment on screen size at a desk. I love my 34" monitor and it is on the verge of being too big. 36" is probably the max I would want. I love my 4K 27" monitor with high pixel density, something I would not want to give up too easily with a larger monitor.

Having tried many screens from 27" 4k, to Ultrawide, to 4k 40".. 4k 40" smokes them all for gaming immersion as long as the panel is as good. Sure if you are (you all seem to be) that 1%ile pro CS player who only plays twitch FPS all day long in the basement, of course a high refresh screen will make you champion of the republic of gamers. Because fuck seeing a game how it was supposed to be made, screw the full colour gamuts, the textures, reproduction, tones, lighting, contrast and that shit when you have to win the internets.

Thing is it's near impossible to get a 4k40"+ freesync screen with acceptable screen quality, that will do 10BPC that isn't a wasabi mango. Even then it's a shit show dice roll for panel QC. You also can't get it locally. Same 4k 40" issues with gsync, they don't exist, but there are like 10 gsync screens on the market in total lol? So I'm sitting on my ass until someone has a decent 36-40" + screen. I'll compromise with mid 30s if it means I get 10bpc adaptive sync and the full gamut, maybe even FALD. No way in fuck am I going 4K 27", I don't need a useless tablet screen at arms length use. Manufacturers just don't want to pay shipping overheads on 40" screens or compete with the TV manufacturers for Panels.
I have even discussed this issue with high level management in a large company, which would target such markets as this. They still don't get it, yet will make 1-2k gpus for niche sales... More and more people use PCs to drive TVs and as central media stations these days. Even the joe bloggs I run into seem to do it more and more often.

Having tried many screens from 27" 4k, to Ultrawide, to 4k 40".. 4k 40" smokes them all for gaming immersion as long as the panel is as good. Sure if you are (you all seem to be) that 1%ile pro CS player who only plays twitch FPS all day long in the basement, of course a high refresh screen will make you champion of the republic of gamers. Because fuck seeing a game how it was supposed to be made, screw the full colour gamuts, the textures, reproduction, tones, lighting, contrast and that shit when you have to win the internets.

Thing is it's near impossible to get a 4k40"+ freesync screen with acceptable screen quality, that will do 10BPC that isn't a wasabi mango. Even then it's a shit show dice roll for panel QC. You also can't get it locally. Same 4k 40" issues with gsync, they don't exist, but there are like 10 gsync screens on the market in total lol? So I'm sitting on my ass until someone has a decent 36-40" + screen. I'll compromise with mid 30s if it means I get 10bpc adaptive sync and the full gamut, maybe even FALD. No way in fuck am I going 4K 27", I don't need a useless tablet screen at arms length use. Manufacturers just don't want to pay shipping overheads on 40" screens or compete with the TV manufacturers for Panels.
I have even discussed this issue with high level management in a large company, which would target such markets as this. They still don't get it, yet will make 1-2k gpus for niche sales... More and more people use PCs to drive TVs and as central media stations these days. Even the joe bloggs I run into seem to do it more and more often.

Agree completely. 40-43" displays @4k have very similar ppi to the 1440p korean displays so many of us were using, so it looks just as sharp and crips we just have a wider field of view. I feel so sad for all the people who are psychologically stuck in the small display ghetto and do not want better. It's like people who watch a movie like star wars on their phone.

Back