FreeNas V8

Joined
Oct 7, 2009
Messages
821
Has anyone used this version yet? I am just curious how well ZFS works on the new version and if you like it or not because I am debating switching my Ubuntu server to this.
 
ZFS is working fine in FreeNAS 8. The previous version of FreeNAS was based on FreeBSD 7.x which had experimental support for ZFS, but the new version is based on FBSD 8.x which has full production level support.
 
Have you checked out their forums to see what the pit falls have been?

Yes. I have been reading through most of the forums to see the progress and what not. I am going to boot it up on an old computer and try it for a bit but I was wondering what and [H] members thought about it thus far.
 
Working fine so far.

FreeNAS 8.0-RELEASE lacks quite a few features but it does have a working ZFS and is stable.

There is now 8.0.1-BETA2 available which improves the feature count somewhat (adds rsync and cron jobs, a better zfs importer, though rsync can only push data to a remote server, it can't yet "pull" data on to the FreeNAS box from a remote rsync server which is a curious omission) and BETA3 is due soon. Plenty more features are planned to be added as part of the 8.1 roadmap (including UPS support etc.).

IMHO it's not yet ready for "production" (ie. serious) use while it lacks UPS support, but at least this support is on the 8.1 roadmap.

My hardware is an HP N36L, 4GB RAM, LSI 9211-8i with 8 disks (4x 3.5" 2TB, 4x 2.5" 500GB), Intel GigE CT NIC,
 
I have had FreeNAS 8.0 Release running for about a month now with 7x 2TB WD Green drives in a raidz2 config, no issues. Like MilhouseVH said, 8.0 release is missing features and not ready for any serious production environment but works just fine for personal use.
 
I would be leery of trying to install much in the way of add-on programs to an appliance like FreeNAS.
 
I took have been looking for more user feeback information about the latest FreeNAS. It looks like most of the functionality I need is already there. Now my only concern is performance, disk and network related.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top