FreeNAS: Pre-Built versus Build-Your-Own

sk3tch

2[H]4U
As the title suggests...if I were to build my own FreeNAS server - what parts would you recommend? I'm looking at 4x6TB WD Red drives plus all the fixin's costing me around $3K from IX Systems. I'm sure I can get more for my $$$ if I build it myself.

http://www.ixsystems.com/mini/

I also don't mind supporting IX Systems in this manner.

If I build myself, thinking of the SilverStone DS380B as my case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163255. Want ECC RAM.

Goal would be decent CPU power, but I'm sure an Intel Atom would do. May run Plex and do some light transcoding - otherwise file backups, file serving, and media serving. I'm not worried about power consumption, but I don't want an HP DL380 in my house, either. :)

Thanks in advance!

Plenty of good suggestions on the freeNAS Forums. This link is a start. I highly recommend building it yourself if you are willing. I'm very satisfied with FreeNAS and the support from the folks of ix systems. Here is my setup:

Fractal Define Mini
Intel Xeon E3-1230v2
Kingston KVR1333D3E9SK2/16G 16GB 2X8GB Kits DDR3-1333 CL9 DIMM EC
Corsair CX430M
Supermicro X9SCM-F
WD + Seagate 4 x 3TB RAIDZ2

I have samba shares, AFP shares, time machine server. I also run a few plugins: urbackup (awesome backup tool), transmission, miniDLNA, iTunes server (firefly), Ubuntu in a virtualbox. Even ran a Minecraft server for a while.

Built my own FreeNAS a few months back after rolling my own NAS+Plex server for years. It's working great so far. I say do it yourself - blurp's hardware recommendation looks good. Personally, I'm using a SuperMicro X10SL7-F with an IBM M1015 HBA for a 8x4TB Hitachi array.

Built my own FreeNAS a few months back after rolling my own NAS+Plex server for years. It's working great so far. I say do it yourself - blurp's hardware recommendation looks good. Personally, I'm using a SuperMicro X10SL7-F with an IBM M1015 HBA for a 8x4TB Hitachi array.

Why did you get an IBM M1015 if the X10SL7-F already has an 8-port SAS controller onboard?

The one thing I can't really find is a NAS case that has those front-loaded drive sleds that's small/medium. Although - I'm not shy of buying one of those Supermicro 3U/4U. Does NewEgg have one that you guys recommend that's not insanely huge? I'm looking to replace a Synology 4-bay and a Netgear 5-bay (Synology is prime, with it's mirroring to the Netgear) - so I don't exactly want a huge monster system...but 6-12+ bays would be very nice.

Or should I just suck it up and use a traditional tower? I guess it's not like I'm swapping disks every month. I just like the idea of having a "NASsy" look and setup.

Last edited:
You could take a look at U-NAS cases. mITX form factors.

8 bayis here http://www.u-nas.com/xcart/product.php?productid=17617&cat=0&featured=Y

thay have 4 and six drive models too.

Thanks - those look interesting. Not sure if I want to muck about with trying to find a PSU that fits/etc. I'd be willing to spend the bigger $$$ for a SuperMicro with PSUs.

The more I look into this, the more I'm leaning towards just doing the IX Systems Mini. The only thing that I worry about is that it is about a year old now...so maybe a revision will be released soon. The hardware inside seems to be very capable still and suits my needs, however.

You can always add a Hot-Swap Cage to any case, I know newegg has several pages of sizes and prices.

I'm pretty sure this is what's in the IX System build. I don't know of any other 8 core proc that pulls that low a wattage. This is what I built my freenas with. The only limiting factor is the single PCIe slot. I'm currently running 2 pools 6x2TB z2 and 6x4TB z2 and this I think the proc is asleep most of the time lol, I can barely get it to show more than 8% load.

I use to use FreeNAS, however I moved to OpenMediaVault and find that to be much better. I would suggest building your own, I mean... this IS [H]ardForum, and nothing says [H]ard like building something yourself.

Back