FreeNAS inaccessible

M76

[H]F Junkie
I'm new to freenas, tried to set up a server. But no matter what I do windows SMB shares are inaccessible to any clients on the network.
I've set up a dataset, added a new smb share, created an user that I set as the owner of the dataset, but nothing works. All connections are rejected telling me specified network password is not correct.

I even tried enabling guest access, but it still refuses all connections.

WTF?

If there are no takers, can anyone suggest alternative software with the same functionality?

Be patient; it's been less than 12 hours. I'm sure an expert will be along soon enough.

Are you on the same workgroup? Have you ensured that the SMB service is running? Do you have a different group name than your username (there are some threads on freenas where this becomes a problem)? Is that user group the owner of that dataset? Under the advanced options for that SMB share, is it network browsable? Did you reboot?

Sorry if these are dumb questions, I don't mean to make them sound that way. I am pretty new to FreeNAS as well but did not have this issue when I set up my shares / plex service.

Try connecting as root, then setting permissions for your other user(s) in Windows. At that point, you can forget root's password & reconnect normally.

Are you on the same workgroup? Have you ensured that the SMB service is running? Do you have a different group name than your username (there are some threads on freenas where this becomes a problem)? Is that user group the owner of that dataset? Under the advanced options for that SMB share, is it network browsable? Did you reboot?

Sorry if these are dumb questions, I don't mean to make them sound that way. I am pretty new to FreeNAS as well but did not have this issue when I set up my shares / plex service.

Initially I wasn't on the same workgroup, but I noticed that and changed it, but it didn't help. Yes, the SMB service is running. I've tried using the same group name and different group as well, to no avail. Yes, both the user and the user's group were set as the dataset's owners. I did reboot, both client and server, but it didn't do anything either.
When I first crated the share with default settings I had read only access as a guest. As soon as I tried setting permissions / users I got locked out.

Try connecting as root, then setting permissions for your other user(s) in Windows. At that point, you can forget root's password & reconnect normally.
Tried connecting as root as well, didn't let me that way either. Same incorrect network password message.

I gave up and installed NAS4Free, now looking into that, but it seems to have it's own kind of problems, it didn't see the disks initially, as they had the zfs system from freenas on them, but I could import them, and then delete them, but It took a long time and I had to leave. I'll get back tomorrow and check on it.

M76 said:
Tried connecting as root as well, didn't let me that way either. Same incorrect network password message
If you try FreeNAS again, check that the SMB settings don't limit the "server minimum protocol." Setting that too high will give exactly your failure, though I really doubt it's your problem. I've experienced it with an Acronis boot CD, and it was hugely annoying to figure out.

Nas4Free seemed weird and dodgy. Like it was a chinese knock off of FreeNAS.

So I'm back to FreeNAS again. And I figured out that the issue probably lies with windows. Because when I change the netbios name of the NAS then I'm able to access it. But if I use the name that the server had that I'm trying to replace then I can't access it.

net use \\servername\sharename\ /delete didn't help either.

Plus another thing that I don't like that I get some weird hidden files visible in the share. Can I get rid of those somehow?

And to make this list even longer another thing I don't like is that if I connect to the NAS using \\servername\sharename then I'll still have a directory named "sharename" to enter into until I can actually see the share.

Is there a way to get rid of that dummy directory and see the dataset contents directly under "\\servername\sharename" ?

You could always map a drive letter to that directory if you are going to be accessing the share from the same computer.

Check your smb logs on the freenas server what do they say?

when authenticating you have to pass the freenas hostname back so your username from the windows PC would be "freenas(if that is name of freenas pc)\username you made on freenas shares"
also the freenas shares can not have a windows group as the owner, there has to be a user as the owner and then you can do group permissions.

i use freeenas and started out with windows based shares and local security now i use freenas with windows shares and domain security. so freenas is bound to the windows domain and the user does not have to enter another username and password. slick once you get use to the slight differences between windows and fakedows.

Is FreeNAS your domain controller or are you running that in a Windows server?

at home i use a samba4 DC. however in a test environment with a real windows DC i noticed the same FreeNAS behavior. i have never used the FreeNAS build in DC function. it is not a behavior i could see using in enterprise so i never bothered testing that feature.

Been flying over this, I work with Samba servers, meanwhile based upon ubuntu server and there are many obstacles you can encounter when trying to connect a wintel box to a Linux based SMBd.

I will just list what I would check, random order.

- type your name in small characters, it's a Linux and even the name is case sensitive
- given your SMB box is called "sun" and your machine is "earth" and you are "mike" from earth..you would login like this: sun\mike + your pwd; mike alone might not be enough, sometimes it needs the domain part as well, sometimes not.
- access your shared folder and check file and folder permissions, change them with chmod & chown if not set correctly, use manpage to understand the commands ( chmnod 755 /myfolder/* for example; chown mike:users /myfiles/my_priv_folder for example ). Add -R at the end of the command to make it recursive if needed.
- reset the password for SMB. To make it easy, have BOTH, username and pwd the same on SMB and Wintel and you should be able to just "go there" with no additional prompt to verify against the SMBd.
- If SMB user is not matched with a systemuser you will have trouble as well. Check your mapping, mike=mike root=administrator
- ROOT by default is not allowed by any SMBd in default mode. Rerun the "convert unix users to smb users" and include "0" = root user. Most likely you couldnt as it ran from 1-499, leaving "0" "root" out. Not good to have that enabled at all !!!!!!!!!!!!
- Read the logs on Wintel and SMB box, try to determine at which spot it hangs up.

I personally dont run any pre-made NAS systems. I always take a good PC/WS/SRV, install a solid Linux on top and install the modules that I need. It leaves you more options in any direction but you have to know your way around Linux and Samba.

You should really think twice if you want your SMB to be your DC !

There are a lot of drawbacks on this and very little benefit. If you are not sure for what you need it, leave it be is my advice.

Before you set it as your DC you should fully understand what this will cause for the SMB network topology and overall have a funded understanding of smbd and nmbd, wins and netbios, and how windows ( 7-10) react upon it.

Last edited:
I would consider ubuntu-server LTS version if nothing goes.

There are plenty guidelines readily available to set it up with SMB...and if you do it a few times over it wont harm...you will learn a lot.

- Install ubuntu-server
- choose to install SMB File Sharing during the installation when asked ( add SSHd if you want to putty in there, recommended )
- once installed, make sure your IP is correct and hopefully static.
- install webmin ( many guides around, install via console )
- go into webmin ( https://localhost:10000 ) and configure your Samba server : make a user in the ubuntu system "mike", then "convert unix user to smb user" in SMB section, then go to SMB users and define pwd for "mike", then create a folder to share, "mkdir /data" "chown mike:mike /data" "chmod 775 /data" this will make you a share called data directly on "/", make it yours and allow you AND the group "mike" to create/delete anything in there. The group mike only contains you, unless you put others in there, use mike:users if you want to include more users later on to work with it.
- Go to your share's settings in webmin, click the Security&Access option and add "mike" to the allowed users and uncheck READ-ONLY.

DONE

....... mainly it's a copy from google and paste into putty thing.

Installing webmin via console is a bit uncomfortable, but you can copy&paste in putty real well. https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-install-webmin-with-ssl-on-ubuntu-14-04

i actually went to a SAMBA4 domain controller with Active Directory support because for me it made things EASIER then doing windows shares from a NAS and using security on the NAS system. also i shy away from Ubuntu, they have done a lot for the community i agree, but the distro is not a server linux first and formost. my samba 4 server is a custom debian headless install with samba 4, administration of it uses all the standard windows RSAT packages and also uses the windows computer management console for administration of the shares on the NAS. if you can admin windows you can admin samba 4 on linux. the hardest part is the install and even it is miles easier than it was when i built out my system. Samba 4 was about 6 months old at that time and not even in standard repositories everywhere yet.

if you read my thread on Proxmox i go into more detail about the complete system. it is not just my home environment.

i actually went to a SAMBA4 domain controller with Active Directory support because for me it made things EASIER then doing windows shares from a NAS and using security on the NAS system. also i shy away from Ubuntu, they have done a lot for the community i agree, but the distro is not a server linux first and formost. my samba 4 server is a custom debian headless install with samba 4, administration of it uses all the standard windows RSAT packages and also uses the windows computer management console for administration of the shares on the NAS. if you can admin windows you can admin samba 4 on linux. the hardest part is the install and even it is miles easier than it was when i built out my system. Samba 4 was about 6 months old at that time and not even in standard repositories everywhere yet.

if you read my thread on Proxmox i go into more detail about the complete system. it is not just my home environment.

Ubuntu-Server is also headless and very tight. Sure, each and everyone has it's likes and dislikes but I would not call Ubuntu-Server a NON-Server-OS.

Personally, I prefer a SuSE Linux Wollmilchsau-Server by far, a thing that can be a desktop, run VMware, scan, fax, vb, LAMP, watch TV, be a NAS, ftpd, sshd, VPNd...and much much more.....for home use that is. I have never gotten any Ubuntu that loaded and working as with a nice SuSE ( of the past ). Havent done a wollmilchsauserver in a while but I have this 920 next to me, Adaptec SAS and Diva-ISDN card as well, all you need for proper can-do-it-all-in-1-box server...homeuse !

* gimme the link to your proxmox post please, would like to read it ;)

https://hardforum.com/threads/a-new-all-in-one-storage-and-vm-host-option.1858105/

i use to run a single all in one linux server. but the annoyance of upgrades that would make 1 tiny piece of the dozen or so duties not work exactly as i had it configured lead me to devise a VM strategy. As i state in that post i work in I.T. and have nearly unlimited access to deploy VMware. but it was not what i wanted in a home system. anyway there is the post, i have been bumping it to keep it on the first couple pages recently (and add updates from its time in service) to maybe save some people from attempting a VMware all in one at home.

the proxmox system at the core has only rebooted 3 times since deployment. 2 times to upgrade the host proxmox os itself, (not update, but full on upgrade a new version) and 1 time because a power outage was longer than my UPS could handle, (car hit a telephone pole and broke it off, took city about 18 hours to fix)

VMware is a valid solution for certain scenarios, I forgot to mention, on top of that SuSE Linux was a VM-WinSRV-DC with Exchange to feed my handheld back then, Postfix did the 1st tier mail scanning, Avira 2nd on the Exchange. Sure, you would never deploy such a thing in a business, too many dependencies, like a Damocles Sword waiting to strike you in the back when you need it least.

The last Ubuntu-Srv-LTS I deployed at an Insurance HQ ran 366 days until it got powered down...for replacement hehe. It would have run till the hw dies I bet. As long as you do not connect outside, updates and reboots are not such a tragedy. One has to balance security risc vs. personal UPtime haha..If those servers sit behind a multi-tier security layer..omg..I know IBM servers that run for 15y now,

when we phoned the stateside HQ they needed THREE days to physically LOCATE the machine LOL !!!! It just runs and runs and runs..till last December. I am unaware of its uptime but I assume at least 5 years non-stop. It did not get patched a single time ( was not my machine btw !!! ), may have run ever since w/o reboot..nobody knows. IBM OS based machines are very solid, at least the older ones.

As long as you do not need to patch it,any solid linux runs literally forever. I have personally had routers with far more than 1 year ( fli4l project ) uptime but for a router that is maybe not what one should do.

the proxmox system is a valid replacement for VMware. in the home AND enterprise. i have installed the complete package as a turn key drop in Virtual host and domain controller a number of times. the biggest fear is from the windows admins that say they cant support it. when i show them that users and active directory all works with RSAT, and the update on the virtual DC takes about 2 minutes and how to do a restore if it goes bad, they all seem to think they CAN handle a linux system after that.

any linux is capable of never being turned off, i was just pointing out the proxmox and the rest of the platform i am using is a valid alternative to VMware. in the home lab especially as it gets the usefulness of vcenter with no cost.

to add a bit that is actually on topic, with virtualized freenas and a hot swappable chassis, this is essentially a home SAN and VM appliance that is as capable as the cisco UCS platform.

Back