Freenas chassis?

trumee

n00b
Hello,

I want to build a freenas box for 10 disks and Rosewill RSV-L4500 seems to offer what i like, cooling!

Unfortunately, it seems that this chassis cannot be easily rack mounted due to its handles.

What other chassis should i look at? I was considering RPC-4224 but the mid-wall fans are far away from the drives so i think the cooling may not be enough.

For the Rosewill what mods could be done to make it better?

Thanks

I have the case and I like it, but I also removed the front door -- no need for that.

Have this chassis as well, fits perfectly in my rack without removing the handles (38U).

gdw61qz.png

Last edited:
Have this chassis as well, fits perfectly in my rack without removing the handles (38U).

Thanks for the photo. Do you mind sharing the details of the rack?

Also general questions to people of have this chassis,
1. Is the chassis loud?
2. Did you replace any of the fans or did any other mods?
3. Is there any to reduce the cable clutter? I have Supermicro X10SL7-F motherboard with 8 SAS connects (LSI 2308). Is it possible to reduce the cable clutter with a SFF cable?

Thanks

Thanks for the photo. Do you mind sharing the details of the rack?

It's a Sun Microsystems StorEdge 38U rack. Has a decent amount of room in the front door for anything that isn't flush with the rack front. If you have one that has adjustable front rails, then it would be trivial to set them back a bit and fit the handles if the door wasn't able to close fully normally. Will come down to how the door is designed if you'll run into a problem or not I'd guess.

Also general questions to people of have this chassis,
1. Is the chassis loud?
2. Did you replace any of the fans or did any other mods?
3. Is there any to reduce the cable clutter? I have Supermicro X10SL7-F motherboard with 8 SAS connects (LSI 2308). Is it possible to reduce the cable clutter with a SFF cable?

Thanks

1. Not really, the 120mm fans are pretty quiet (at least compared to anything else in my rack) to my ears.

2. Stock fans, no mods to the chassis.

3. Zipties and running the cables neatly as possible, that's pretty much it.

I was considering RPC-4224 but the mid-wall fans are far away from the drives so i think the cooling may not be enough.

Fanwalls cool by sucking air through the drives, not blowing from the front as most consumer cases do. The RPC 4224 120mmfanwall is pretty good at cooling -- I've run it with as many as 24 7200rpm drives and it's kept them all around 42-43 C max at full load. If you do your cable management in front of the fanwall (i.e. the SFF-8087 connections mostly), it's also possible to mount the fans on the opposite side (i.e. closer to the drives), although making any changes the backplanes will require removing the fans/wall.

Yeah, rack cases like that work by the fanwall essentially dividing the case in 2 separate compartments.

The fans separate the compartments and blow toward the rear. This creates a vacuum in the front compartment where the HDDs are, and if the only holes to the outside are in front of the HDDs then air must come in through those holes and flow past the HDDs taking heat with it.

Back