FreeNAS booting to grub rescue

charold

Limp Gawd
I had FreeNAS setup on a single USB drive, that I was planning on putting into a RAID later on.... well later on didn't come soon enough as after a storm that cut power, beyond what my UPS would keep it running it at, it's now not booting.

Did I have a backup of the config? No...
Was my USB in RAID1? No....
Do I know exactly what I'm doing? No....

The data on the drive isn't really that important, anything really important is on my Dropbox, and on my other Buffalo NAS, but there were some movies and stuff that hadn't been duplicated yet. Is there any easy way to get this up and running and still retain my data? I read that I could reinstall FreeNAS, and recreate the same type of RAID volume with the same name, and it would pick it up? I'm thinking a FSCK on the boot volume may work, but grub rescue doesn't help me much there, is there another shell to access maybe?

Your data should still be intact. You should be able to use a new flash drive install latest freeness software and import your old ZFS pool.

As above you shouldn't have a problem although from what has happened to the boot pool I assume it had a hard power off?

I did an update, hadn't gotten around to a restart, between the update and a restart i found the message

"The boot volume state is ONLINE: One or more devices has experienced an error resulting in data corruption. Applications may be affected"

I cloned the boot drive as well as scrubbed it, and was researching how to RAID my boot volumes once I've installed it. I only get an hour per night tops to work on this stuff, so usually things like this take me days to work out, and since it was not critical data, I wasn't in too much of a rush.

Thanks for the help all, I'll update this once I make some more progress.

Your data should still be intact. You should be able to use a new flash drive install latest freeness software and import your old ZFS pool.

That worked :) Now it's just a matter of getting my CIFS shares to work again, which for some reason are being a pain. But all is good in the end. Now my USB Boot drives are mirrored, along with a copy of my config backed up right off the rip now. Thanks for the help.

Back