freenas as a san

goodcooper

[H]F Junkie
I know a lot of the cost of buying a san is tied up in the software... so I was wondering, is freenas ready to be used to turn a storage server into a san in a business environment?

What about zraid?

I guess the question is.... is freenas fast/stable/good enough to be used in primetime for business class san type storage (virtual server storage pools and etc....)

You will not find anyone here on the forum recommending FreeNAS for a production environment. Maybe look at openfiler or one of the ZFS solutions.

Last time I checked, FreeNAS doesn't have clustering, that.. and well.. I wouldn't use it in a production environment either. :)

Last time I checked, FreeNAS doesn't have clustering, that.. and well.. I wouldn't use it in a production environment either. :)

Well, it does have replication, just a major pain to setup (new version)

If you are looking for production open source, look at openfiler, it is complex as well just works much better with iSCSI than FreeNAS

Well, it does have replication, just a major pain to setup (new version)

If you are looking for production open source, look at openfiler, it is complex as well just works much better with iSCSI than FreeNAS

Freenas 8.2 works great on my machine, no issues at all. Running ISCSI, and 4 vm's from it right now.

INFACT im rdp'd into the box tying this :)

Back