• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

FreeNAS and LDAP, what am I doing wrong?

jadams

2[H]4U
Joined
Mar 14, 2010
Messages
4,086
Settings:
http://i.imgur.com/BmBAo.png

I obviously changed some info for security purposes. But its all pretty basic. I'm trying to import the users from the Built in Users folder in AD. The root bind DN is a user I created today whos also in the Users folder in AD Are my distinguished names correct?

The output from the console in the webadmin.

Code:
Mar 27 10:43:49 freenas freenas[1872]: Executing: /usr/sbin/service ix-ldap quietstart
Mar 27 10:43:49 freenas freenas[1872]: Executing: /usr/sbin/service ix-nsswitch quietstart
Mar 27 10:43:49 freenas freenas: Generating host.conf.
Mar 27 10:43:49 freenas freenas[1872]: Executing: /usr/sbin/service ix-pam quietstart
Mar 27 10:43:49 freenas freenas[1872]: Executing: /usr/sbin/service ix-samba quietstart
Mar 27 10:43:50 freenas freenas[1872]: Executing: /usr/sbin/service samba forcestop
Mar 27 10:43:50 freenas freenas: winbindd not running? (check /var/run/samba/winbindd.pid).
Mar 27 10:43:50 freenas freenas: nmbd not running? (check /var/run/samba/nmbd.pid).
Mar 27 10:43:50 freenas freenas: smbd not running? (check /var/run/samba/smbd.pid).
Mar 27 10:43:50 freenas freenas[1872]: Executing: /usr/bin/killall nmbd
Mar 27 10:43:50 freenas freenas: No matching processes were found
Mar 27 10:43:50 freenas freenas[1872]: Executing: /usr/bin/killall smbd
Mar 27 10:43:50 freenas freenas: No matching processes were found
Mar 27 10:43:50 freenas freenas[1872]: Executing: /usr/bin/killall winbindd
Mar 27 10:43:50 freenas freenas: No matching processes were found
Mar 27 10:43:50 freenas freenas[1872]: Executing: /bin/sleep 5
Mar 27 10:43:55 freenas freenas[1872]: Executing: /usr/sbin/service samba quietstart

Is there a log I can check?
 
Last edited:
Need some more information about the environment...

what is your domain?
what is the entire root bind string?

The picture does not work.
 
Need some more information about the environment...

what is your domain?
what is the entire root bind string?

The picture does not work.

Entire root bind is for a test user I created for this, has all domain admin privs.

CN=nas,CN=users,DC=domain,DC=local
domain is simple domain.local
Base DN that I'm trying to import is simply the Users container.

CN=Users,DC=domain,DC=local
 
Last edited:
I'm not certain it actually makes a difference but you probably want --OU=Users,DC=domain,DC=local

Your pic isn't working but I can attest to FreeNAS working fine with my AD environment (in recent testing, I do not have it currently set up).
 
Updated the OP with a working link. Not much to it. Simply asks for BASE DN and ROOT BIND DN.

Root Bind DN is to a user "nas" in the main Users container.
This user has all domain privs. I even tried another known working domain admin and still no go.

Base DN I want to use just the Users container as well.

I've tried other combinations. The screenshot is just what happened to be in there at the time of the screenshot.

Firewall is off for testing purposes.
 
bump

is there something on the AD server I have to do?

I have a web application authenticating through ldap just fine.
 
Back
Top