FreeNAS, am i doing it right?

Kroz

2[H]4U
Hey all;

So I have been running a simple FreeNAS setup for a couple years now; e2200/2gb ram/evga 780i/4xWD 2gb HD/ZFS. Its setup as a file server on my GB network as a movie/music/tv show/backup unit and has done its job flawlessly.

Fast forward to last week, parents computer dies on them (Asus a7n8x-x blows its capacitors after running 24/7 for 5+ years) and being the cheap people they are they come to me too build them a new system for as little coin as possiable... It got me thinking that I might just update my server and give them my old setup. So after digging I find this:

ASUS E35M1-M / 8GB DDR3 Ram = $88 (Deal on E35m1-m for $50)

G620 / $70ish for MB / 8GB DDR3 Ram = $180ish

Im thinking for my needs the Asus e35m1-m wins. Anything I am missing?

Kroz

I'm not sure if you have hit any performance issues on your old setup. I'd use this opportunity to maybe get yourself into some virtualization. Find a motherboard that supports passthrough and virtualize your storage as well as allow you to spin up a guestos or two.

The only thing I use the server for is streaming video/music to my HTPC in the master bedroom (an AOpen MP965-D), my HTPC in the family room (Dell 530s), to the audio rack in the home gym (old Sempron 3200+ system), my main rig, 2 laptops, and 2 blackberry playbooks... It also does scheduled backups of all the systems.

I don't think i need virtualization.

I'm just wondering if the fusion setup will cause me any headaches or if there are any issues with mixing it and FreeNAS (Or OpenSolaris if i ever get adventurous...) all the research points to smooth sailing but I thought I would ask the experts first.

Kroz

Back