• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

FreeNAS 8 or 7?

infect0

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
1,677
So here is my dilemma. I have been playing around with how I want to setup my first home file server and I am thinking about using FreeNAS BUT for the time being I still need to run Playon to stream video to both the PS3 and Roku. Eventually I want to move to a WD Live setup but I cannot atm.

So the plan was setting up a C2Duo machine with windows xp (PlayON is Windows only) then running FreeNAS 7 in a VM on it. Is this a terrible idea and is FreeNAS8 preferable?
 
Horrible horrible horrible idea. You will lose all data when you migrate FreeNAS to bare metal, performance will suck and you will be relying on the (in)stability of Windows XP.

Your best bet is to install FreeNAS 8 on bare metal and run PlayON from a different machine.

You could also install ESXI and Virtualize both FreeNAS and a Windows VM.
 
Depending on your comfort level I would run FreeNAS on bare metal and PlayOn in the VM (using Virtual Box, etc). (Assuming you don't want to mess with ESXI)
 
Note that if both are virtualized under esxi, freenas can export one or more folders to the windows playon VM using cifs or nfs. Since both VMs are on the same host, you should be able to get very good network performance.
 
Thats what I figured.

Since that will be a problem is there any reason not to use WHS?
 
Back
Top