Freelancer Widescreen

Master_Pain

Supreme [H]ardness
Is there any way to get Freelancer to run at 1920x1200? I can get it into 1680x1050, but it is still pretty squished.

I don't know if they fixed it recently, but I know that Freelancer hasn't supported anything other than 4:3 aspect ratio when I played it years back; which didn't make considering the proliferation of 1280*1024 screens at the time. They definitely didn't have widescreen support.

Reviving this thread. The link to widescreengamingforum doesn't work anymore. Does anyone know how to get it to run at 2560x1600?

Run the Discovery mod, which includes widescreen with a fixed HUD and does other awesome things like multiplayer.

Also, if you're running Vista or Win7, install Freelancer to a custom directory like C:\Freelancer\ rather than its default folder, because it is particularly troubled by UAC.

I set my NV CP up so that it doesn't stretch older 4:3 games, they stay as a box in the middle of the screen. At first I didn't like it but eventually the black on the side blurs away and I don't even notice.

I would like to see another freelancer game come out. give me 150 player servers with trading, builidng, and combat.

Wow, I revive a 4yr old thread and get a bunch of answers within hours. Awesome.

http://www.wsgf.org/dr/freelancer did u search freelancer on wsgf ;P there still info on gettng custom rez

I found that, and the wiki entry actually, but do I need to edit other values for 2560x1600, even though both are 16:10? I don't know how to calculate those values.

You can try Jasons Freelancer patch (JFLP). You might have to search for it the link to download it on http://the-starport.net/ doesn't seem to work right now. Read on Lancersreactor people are getting 5760x1200 res, but the cut scenes FOV is srewy sometimes.

Or you could just download the .dll here adoxa.3eeweb.com/freelancer/dl.php?f=jflpdll and see if that does it.

Hmm, I'll give that a try. It runs via freelancer mod manager right?

Run the Discovery mod, which includes widescreen with a fixed HUD and does other awesome things like multiplayer.

Also, if you're running Vista or Win7, install Freelancer to a custom directory like C:\Freelancer\ rather than its default folder, because it is particularly troubled by UAC.

Thanks for the tip, will try reinstalling.

I set my NV CP up so that it doesn't stretch older 4:3 games, they stay as a box in the middle of the screen. At first I didn't like it but eventually the black on the side blurs away and I don't even notice.

It does that right now, at 1600x1200, but I don't like how it looks :(

I would like to see another freelancer game come out. give me 150 player servers with trading, builidng, and combat.

You, me and all the other FL fans out there. Sadly I don't think that's ever going to happen :(

isnt that what eve is like i thought? idk never played it but FL is efin amazing.

Use command line switch

-d1920x1200

I think that's correct for your desired resolution, but it's been a few months since I played the game.

I've got to go off topic for a second though: The mod community for FL is absolutely shit. I've never met a group more stuck up their own assholes, dedicated to pettiness, infighting, and generally ugly behavior, and boy have I been around for a while. The Crossfire mod and the guy that runs it is the worst, without question. Go browse the Crossfire forum if you doubt.

Flak88 has the best AI and some of the best combat (plus AI bots to fly along with you as wingmen) but the mod has little added content and many severe omissions limiting the time you'll spend with it. Great mod for those seeking a vanilla game+, but the community is dead so you're on your own. Allows coop openSP.

Crossfire has the most new content, plus it allows you to play the original campaign and an added Crossfire campaign, but the difficulty level for single player is a massive turn off even to someone like me that plays all my games on the hardest setting, plus the mod creator blocked lan play, coop campaign play, coop openSP, and in fact threatened lawsuits if people used cheats in single player or otherwise modified the mod for their own personal usage and tastes. Also there are tons of boneheaded design choices like putting their dumbass scrolling server banner suspended in space 10,000 feet high outside of your homeworld you'll have to visit repeatedly during gameplay. As a result, I'll never forget this fuckwit making absurd demands like "YOU MUST FOLLOW ALL MY FORUM RULES IN ANY EMAIL COMMUNICATION YOU MAKE WITH ME" because this douche nozzle made me watch it every time I launched from the planet. Needless to say I modified the mod anyway (including removing that banner and the rest of his stupid clan banners) but still found it a tiresome, pointless slog and deleted it. The online community for this mod is legendarily negative, and the creator is the German Derek Smart of modding. Crossfire could have been so fucking great, the potential is clearly there all over the mod, but it's much more enraging than it is enjoyable because of bad design decisions. I regret wasting over 30 hours on the single player.

Discovery is overall the best Freelancer mod. It allows openSP and coop openSP and has a lot of added content (but less than Crossfire). You can't play the single player campaign with this mod but you can play openSP offline if you want. It is focused on online play and has a dedicated community that are actually somewhat reasonable to deal with (at least compared to the Crossfire community) but the recent patch caused so much crashing it was unplayable. Still, Discovery is easily the best Freelancer total conversion mod available as of 2012. And I believe it has integrated widescreen support. ;)

Back