• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Freeing a PCI-E Slot

Xolos

Weaksauce
Joined
Sep 20, 2010
Messages
65
All righty then, I'm looking to clear out my PCI-E slot that is currently occupied by my soundcard. My Mobo has S/PDIF out so I'm going to work with that. I do not want a USB based DAC, or one based on IEEE 1394. I've already got one of those and I use it to drive my headphones.

So, the basic requirement is for it to accept 2CH S/PDIF and output 2CH analog. Simple enough, as I do something similar with a Fiio D3 for my TV. However, I'm looking into upgrading my speakers while keeping them about the same size. I currently have a 2.1 Logitech system. It does what I ask it to do. Youtube, background music when I'm browsing the web, and games. If I need better sound I just use my headphones.

I've been contemplating the jump to passive speakers, but this turned out harder than I'd thought it to be. First off, the speakers have to be small. About the only ones I've found that are small enough are something like a pair of Orb Audio Quick Pack. As I understand the things are about grapefruit sized. Perfect fit for the desktop. Only problem is they don't go too low, only down to about 80Hz. So, I'd want to fill in the gap with a sub. Now, this again does bring up an interesting problem too. See, a DAC isn't too hard to come by itself, but something more like an integrated Amp with a DAC built in is apparently near impossible to find. The only one that I could find that fit the bill was the NuForce DIA. Seems pretty much ideal for exactly what I want to do if I go the passive route.

With that all being said I'm basically looking for suggestions for a small speaker setup for my desktop. Sound quality doesn't have to be amazing, just has to sound decent, and work. Now, let me define decent as everybody has different definitions for such things. I consider decent where I can get a pretty good idea of the overall sound. I don't need to be able to peer into the very bowels of the sound. I just need a pleasant presentation of it. Oh and of course the budget. There really is no set budget per se. I mean a pair of those Orbs is about $240 and the NuForce DIA is like $300. So, kind of use that as a guide.
 
just a few questions....and ill be back with some suggestions.

a) why no USB DAC? USB DACs tend to be driver free and more popular in the nicer segment.

b) why do you need the amp and dac in one box?IMO, if its for space requirements, heres my take:
the only thing that needs to be on your desk is the pre amp. ie volume control and input switching. there are passive pre amps or volume controls that are like 4"x4". everything else can be hidden away. or atleast the power amp can be while the dac with volume control sits on the desk.

c) have you considered something like this over a passive setup:
Burr Brown USB DAC, good small speakers. subwoofer.
http://www.amazon.com/Focal-Satellite-Speakers-Dock-Players/dp/B001RQ4IA4
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Procyon,
a) I think a better question is why use a USB port when I have a perfectly fine digital transport? Being frank I hate USB but it is a necessary evil for certain things. However, that is not the reason I do not want a USB DAC. IMO, I feel that a USB DAC is pointless for many applications. It was hard enough to find a standalone DAC that didn't use USB for data transmission for my TV. I ended up with a Fiio D3 and I can't tell the difference between my TV's DAC or it. Does exactly what I want it to. Switches between two digital sources without any issues.

b) It is for space requirements actually. I do not have a whole lot of room, period. If I could use a DAC and feed into a small little amp, great! If both the amp and pre-amp are small, fantastic! The NuForce DIA is just highly convenient if a bit on the expensive side.

c) Those Focal's look very promising. Except for two problems. First, it doesn't appear to have a digital input except USB. Though I could be wrong. I said I do not want USB. Simply because it seems to ruin an otherwise very promising product. Anyway, reason two. I have never liked the way Focal speakers sound . . ., ever. I've heard very expensive car systems with all Focal speakers and I've heard the Solo6 BE and CMS65 speakers. I just did not care much for the way they sound. It is sort of like my dislike for Yamahas. I just don't like the way any Yamaha speaker sounds :p

I hope I don't sound like I do not appreciate the advice because I do! I just have a general distaste for certain things. Now, do not get me wrong USB can be very handy. It just seems redundant for my CPU to have do any audio processing digitally and then stream it out to the DAC over USB. Just my view on the matter.
 
then this is what i reccomend for you.
2 of these speakers:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0031TFZTS/

this is the dac and pre amp combo, its only about 4.5" x 9" wide, and 1.5" tall. keep this on the desk. great sounding dac, made well.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006AA217E/

hide this little amp away somewhere. keep the volume at max and control volume on the dac/pre amp.
www.amazon.com/dp/B000VKXLBO/

this is a little sub. its not the best, but without going too big or too expensive, i think its a good choice. FYI the amazon specs are wrong, its only: 12 15/16"H x 11 1/4" W x 11 1/4" D.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00009WBYK/

i tried to be as cognizant of your size requirements as possible while still not going overboard on price, and not giving you crap.
 
Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top