FreeBSD, why???

ufster8

Weaksauce
It seems to me that more and more people are switching to FreeBSD and not just from Linux, but from Windows as well. I don't really know much about FreeBSD but as far as I know, FreeBSD claims to be better in security and binary compatibility. First of all, I would like to know how BSD is safer and how it has better binary compatibility, in detail (serious question, please don't flame). Also how is BSD developed? Is it like Linux where programmers all over the world help pot, or is it more centralized (if so in what way? i.e. is it completely open-source?)
If I were to install FreeBSD, would it go as easily as my fedore core installation goes, would I have all the software I need (use in fedora), such as a graphical download manager, a 3d Graphics program like Kpov etc...
I wish someone had prepared a sticky on FreeBSD and guided people on how to tackle pre and post installation problems. I really could use links to some web pages on FreeBSD (articles, guides, software downloads) if I go on to install FreeBSD. My first install will probably be on a P-3 1.2GHz Machine with 768MB of RAM (which my fedora core is installed on), I use this machine for daily work (along with mild 3d graphics) as I use my Athlon64 rig for gaming and serious 3D Graphics work.
Thanks for all replies

I'm fond of this page when it comes to explaining the differences. Come back when you've read it, it might reduce the amount of questions a bit. :)

The one-liner summary, though: It's not that different from a linux distro. It'll run the same programs, for one thing.

I knew you would come up first with a reply, have you thought of making a sticky guide for BSD newbies like me to save yourself time on the long run ? :p Because if I go on to install FreeBSD, I might be a PITA for you with more q's each day. :D
Thanks for the info, this older machine I have seems to be a good candidate for trying new stuff out.

ufster8 said:
I knew you would come up first with a reply, have you thought of making a sticky guide for BSD newbies like me to save yourself time on the long run ?
No. The FreeBSD Handbook (linked right from the front page of freebsd.org) is pretty detailed and covers a lot of the issues you'll encounter when installing. Google will cover many of the others. If your problem is truly unique, which is rare these days, ask away.

I wrote a page a while ago that explains why I use FreeBSD instead of Linux.

As far as development, the FreeBSD model is more centralized than the Linux model. There's only one "distributor" of FreeBSD (more or less). Anyone can submit code for inclusion, but only certain people have commit access to the FreeBSD tree and generally don't include stuff that sucks. :) There's control in the Linux world, and it's at the same level as FreeBSD on a distribution-by-distribution basis, but anyone can package their own "Linux distribution."

You could always check for yourself to see if the applications you want have been ported...Just look at the Ported Applications page, linked right off of freebsd.org.

For the most part, FreeBSD is pretty similar to Linux in a lot of ways. It's the way in which it differs that make it worth running instead of Linux.

thanks for the replies, it took me a while to browse em all though ;)
ok i'll let you know if all goes according to plan, I will start dloading FreeBSD at once but at 256k I can't advise anyone to hold their breath
:(

edit : @ [H]EMI 426 : I liked ur page man, although I must confess as a 4 year linux user, it is hard to swallow at first that the OS i relied on has some major weaknesses, live and learn...

I started out on true64 on alpha systems. I worked with linux on servers for a few years before switching to bsd. Most of the time I use freebsd but I have used open and net before as well. For me I liked how freebsd was organized. I liked the idea of one set of software working across the board where with all the different linux distros this becomes an issue. I will say that drivers have been lacking vs linux but things seem to be getting better. Personaly I think I will have to try that newer desktopbsd next as it is a freebsd based os that has some extra features setup for the desktop user.

I've used both several times over the years. Many years ago, I got a sour taste for FreeBSD though, since drivers for more obscure hardware can be a pain on it. Playing around with OpenBSD/NetBSD didn't help that image either.

I do like the ports package though, it kicks ass. To me, it's a bit more of a pain to get *BSD going than Linux(Gentoo, Debian, and Slackware.) I will admit the last time I screwed with it was 2-3 years ago, and FreeBSD was much easier to use than in was in 1996 when I first tried it.

Back