freeBSD + samba 4

Metraon

Limp Gawd
Does anyone here use freeBSD as a domain controller with samba 4 ?

I would like to know if its possible to use only freeBSD in a production environnement with something like group policies !?

Only using UFS, ZFS is no go due to the fact that the provisioning script doesn't support ZFS attrs right now. You can do a hackish workaround but its a proof of concept (--use-ntvfs) and not recommended by the Samba devs as far as I've understood in its current state. Also, you have some hard coded paths to /var in Samba :/
//Danne

Last edited:
I see ! I must say I was thinking going with freeBSD because of ZFS. Did you go with linux then or decided to stick with freeBSD ? Are you managing group policies with that server ? I saw somewhere its possible to manage group policies with windows 7 (RSAT) on linux, but I dont seem to find proper tutorials and or documentation for freebsd on that part.

No, I didn't go for Linux as it wouldn't make much sense since you'll have the same issue there with ZFS. They did however shoehorn POSIX attrs into ZFS so it might work but I wouldn't trust it.
Anyhow, it did work on UFS but I didn't test much as I wanted all storage on ZFS so for now I'm running it as a simple file server.
//Danne

Yeah, tough so, linux zfs is different anyway and not quite ready if I understrand correctly.

That said, shares can be on ZFS but not the domain controller data.
//Danne

Back