FreeBSD/OpenBSD portability

Boomslang

Limp Gawd
Aside from having set up a few OpenBSD servers on a spare machine, I have little BSD experience and therefore am curious - are programs and modules and so forth that are present in the FreeBSD tree portable to OpenBSD? To be specific, I know that ZFS and RAID-Z are present in the FreeBSD tree, but I'd rather use them in OpenBSD than FreeBSD. Does the *BSD signify any common ground / portability here, or am I SOL for running ZFS on an OpenBSD system?

If only ZFS were available for Linux on a non-userspace-only basis.

Thank you, all.

Nope, you're pretty much SOL unless you can persuade someone to port the stuff to OpenBSD for you or feel like doing it yourself.

The individual BSDs don't have much code commonality any more. They can trace their lineage back to the same or close to the same starting points, but they've all moved in their own direction.

[H]EMI_426;1031287606 said:
Nope, you're pretty much SOL unless you can persuade someone to port the stuff to OpenBSD for you or feel like doing it yourself.

The individual BSDs don't have much code commonality any more. They can trace their lineage back to the same or close to the same starting points, but they've all moved in their own direction.

That's what I needed to hear, thanks mang.

Back