• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Free Windows Backup Software: Reliable?

Joined
Jan 30, 2005
Messages
12
At my job we have Linux servers and Windows clients... to backup our servers we have been using rsync (and Amanda for other servers for tape archival.) However, we just got a Windows 2003 server at our new building and to be honest- I have no idea on how to back it up properly without buying some expensive software piece (i.e. backup exec, ghost).

I have read very mixed reviews on the built-in backup utility in accessories -> system tools -> backup and most people seem to recommend not using it for anything important, let a lone critical.

I have not tried cygwin + rsync, but my boss told me he tried a while back on a different project and it was a hassle- so I'm not looking forward to that route.

If anyone has any (preferably) open-source / free Windows client backup software recommendations- that would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Aaron
 
Since you need a tunnel, you won't be able to use DeltaCopy, I think. You can create a tunnel with PuTTY. You can also do this from the command line (see 3.7.3.5). So it should be possible to get those things to work together. I haven't tried it, but the possibility is there.
 
Well I could open up hole to allow the windows server to use the standard rsync port- I don't see exactly how this will all work right now. Mainly because our backup server is a linux box. Doesn't the deltacopy server need to run on a 2000/XP/2003 box?

I'll have to look into it some more. Its never easy, right?

Aaron
 
You might be able to use the DeltaCopy client (it has both a server and a client program, scroll down) but I don't know how you'd establish the tunnel before DeltaCopy fired off. It may be making Windows Scheduled Tasks; perhaps you could modify that to fire off PuTTY before DeltaCopy? I dunno, I haven't used DC before. Just looked useful ;)
 
Back
Top