Free web hosting sites of the 90's.

TheToE!

[H] Brewmaster
Guys, I am trying to remember a free web hosting site from the late 90's that I had a site on. Can you guys name some of the free hosts from that time period? Like angelfire,geocities ect.

Thanks!

xoom

and...uhhh...this other one...i dont remember...it was more "business"-oriented

talkcity.com

chances are your site is gone..lol most of the freesites either died, or went to a paid base system.

Excite
Fortunecity
Homstead
Angelfire
Geocities
20m
50m
100m
etc :)

At one time or another I had a site on each of those and some other ones, its been a while, there were tons. Along with free internet providers and cash making schemes with giant banner ads on your screen, Ah the good ole '90s :(

The only one I remember bothering with... is no longer a free hosting one. So if it's that long ago, its gone. With that said, I can't remember the name. HAH!

Tripod and Geocities are the ones I do remember though, it seems not to be it.

Oh, remembered about FreeServers.com (and all of its sisters, like 8m.com) also.

Have any of these helped, or should we keep listing names for you, OP?

Freewebs used to be good... don't think they're in business at all anymore...

lol @ angelfire, and geocities.. Oh how I loathe thee..

lol @ angelfire, and geocities.. Oh how I loathe thee..

Hey now! I still have my geocities account (now under yahoo). The address still resolves correctly! Of course I haven't updated it in years and every three or four years when I get an 'innactivity' notice I make a nice small change.

Do you guys remember using java script or frames to break out of the ads that were forced onto your site? :D

lol, I think I still have a tripod site from years back. The funny thing is I still use it to host the template images for my ebay auctions, but I cannot remember the login and have not accessed the account in years.

Still working though!

This thread reminded me I used to use Tripod to host my site back then. Havnt logged onto Tripod in a very long time...probably 2-3 years. I just checked it and sure enough its there. Pretty interesting as I barely knew HTML back then and made that site. Now I know alot more languages and scripting and just laughed when I looked at my Tripod site.

This thread reminded me I used to use Tripod to host my site back then. Havnt logged onto Tripod in a very long time...probably 2-3 years. I just checked it and sure enough its there. Pretty interesting as I barely knew HTML back then and made that site. Now I know alot more languages and scripting and just laughed when I looked at my Tripod site.

I had a similar experience when I decided to take a look at archive.org the other day and looked up a site I made in 1999 .... it was pretty bad .... although in saying that I still think it looks better than some that are for sale on eBay today:D

I was on Tripod for the longest time until they dropped the amount of free storage and started injecting ads to the sites. Most of my data is actually still there, but now I just have it pointing to my domain.

hah.. i just checked through my backup disk, and my first website is still there. I cannot tell you how many different kinds of backup media those files have been transferred to over the years. I think I'm going to restore it somewhere just to relive the horror that was 1997! :)

ahh geocities.... visiting a geocities site is kinda like doing a hooker with no rubber lol.. pretty damn guaranteed to catch something nasty :eek:

Back