Free virus/trojan software

Idk just go download random software from dodgy websites, I'm pretty sure they wont charge you. Or you could get Limewire and download pictures of Britney Spears.

Now if you looking for free Anti-Virus software I found Anti-Vir by Avira is pretty good.

AVG is the old standby. You have to do a little searching and click through a few screens of ads for the full version, but it is worth it. I use it on my backup computers because I am too cheap to buy full suites for computers that are used rarely.

AVG has had lower detection rates throughout the years, when compared to Avira's free solution. Not to mention that AVG 8.0 is a buggy, bloated piece of crashing crap. I have a year's license to it, and I won't even touch it.

i do clean ups every day on pc's and I've used every program know to man. The best program I've found that actually finds everything and remove's it is called Malware Btytes AntiMalware. http://www.malwarebytes.org/ You will LOVE this program

AVG has had lower detection rates throughout the years, when compared to Avira's free solution. Not to mention that AVG 8.0 is a buggy, bloated piece of crashing crap. I have a year's license to it, and I won't even touch it.

QFT....that's exactly why I made the switch to Avira and never looked back.

i do clean ups every day on pc's and I've used every program know to man. The best program I've found that actually finds everything and remove's it is called Malware Btytes AntiMalware. http://www.malwarebytes.org/ You will LOVE this program

I'm questioning this program. First it found something in my registry that was under like Microsoft\ole\dram prosessor. The data value on that was msconf.exe. So I looked it up (I know it's bad, but I always google) Now I found one forum where a guy posted his hijackthis log and it found it. I ran my hijackthis and it didn't find it.

So why would my hijackthis fail to find something it's obviously able to, and this program did?

I also have a custom xp theme and it's trying to tell me I have a hijacked start menu. My guess is it doesn't know what it's looking at.

This is the best right now.

Works great to remove the stupid ass antivirus 2008/09 programs that hijack pretty much every part of your system.

Another vote here for Avast. I tried Avira and it was actually a little over protective. It has without a doubt the best protection, but be prepared to deal with some false positives. Avast on the other hand has just slightly worse detection, it's light, and works great. Not sure why the poster above thinks it is slow, but it works great for me.

Another vote here for Avast. I tried Avira and it was actually a little over protective. It has without a doubt the best protection, but be prepared to deal with some false positives. Avast on the other hand has just slightly worse detection, it's light, and works great. Not sure why the poster above thinks it is slow, but it works great for me.

Never had any false positives using Avira yet.

Avast is a fine AV for sure, but that GUI just kills me. As for Avira, I have Heuristics at maximum, and I've never gotten a false positive yet after a year of using it. And I browse... Shady places.

Malwarebytes Anti-malware is a decent program as well (for anti-spyware), they and Superantispyware are pretty much the best right now, but a $20 lifetime license (for 2 computers) for Superantispyware is just one hell of a deal.

As far as what I use:

Avira Premium (Paid version, free license, you don't need the paid)
Superantispyware pro (WELL worth the $20)
Norton Antibot (one of the few HIPS to work on vista x64, use threatfire for a free 32bit solution) - Paid program, free license. Hopefully threatfire has an x64 version when this expires.
WinPatrol - Free
Rising Firewall - Free
Comodo Memory Firewall - Free

I just made the switch from avg8 to Avira. Avira's only flaw so far is the popup whenever it updates.

After using Malwarebyte's software the other day, I was a little disappointed, to be quite honest. The software works well, don't get me wrong, but when you list the compatibility as W2K, XP, and Vista, you MIGHT want to mention that the resident protection doesn't work in Vista x64. I had installed it, set it up to use realtime protection, and immediately got an "error Code:001" with no explanation. Only after browsing their forums did they casually mention that realtime protection doesn't work at ALL with Vista x64.

So that being said, you're basically stuck with just the free version on an x64 system. I was hoping to have MBAM in realtime mode with SAS running on demand, but now I have to reverse it. An annoyance, but what can you do?

After using Malwarebyte's software the other day, I was a little disappointed, to be quite honest. The software works well, don't get me wrong, but when you list the compatibility as W2K, XP, and Vista, you MIGHT want to mention that the resident protection doesn't work in Vista x64. I had installed it, set it up to use realtime protection, and immediately got an "error Code:001" with no explanation. Only after browsing their forums did they casually mention that realtime protection doesn't work at ALL with Vista x64.

So that being said, you're basically stuck with just the free version on an x64 system. I was hoping to have MBAM in realtime mode with SAS running on demand, but now I have to reverse it. An annoyance, but what can you do?

I am sure they will release a patch that will, and to have Real Time projection you have to buy the full version.
You have to admit it is a great program for cleaning though. 2 Scan's in safemode will clean any infected PC. Oh thats another great point, It installs and updates in safemode (with networking for updates). :D

To be honest, I doubt they will. Microsoft is VERY picky about what security will run on the x64 kernel, and have gone so far as to say HIPS and certain security aren't needed at all, so they won't cave. Meh, whatever, it's an extra layer of protection that I honestly don't need. Between a router, Avira and SAS Pro, I haven't had an infection in YEARS.

Back