Free syncing software for USB removable drive

bigdogchris

Fully [H]
I'm on Windows 7. I have several folders on my system that I want to be able to Sync to a USB drive. I would use Windows Backup but it backs up periodically and the drive I'm backing up to is not always on.

What I want to end up being able to do is turn my external HDD on, press the sync button, sync folders, turn external HDD off. So I need something that will hold the sync between the folders I select and a removable device when it is turned off. Either something in Windows I'm missing or something to download. The drive is just an enclosure I added a HDD too so this isn't a packaged deal that came with software.

Thank you.

PS Windows Sync will not recognize this drive so I can't use that. I also don't appear to be able to use Offline files for a USB drive (or at least this one).

Easy soloution Allway Sync I have been using this to backup my files to my server and then back to my machine since I am using Win 7 7100 release and plan to install when windows 7 releases. Here is the link the the software:

http://allwaysync.com/

KM

Synctoy 2 doesn't work? I do pretty much the exact same thing you do (attach HDD in external enclosure, run synctoy, turn drive off after done copying). I've also got this same drive mapped through a network and it sync's over the network without an issue.

You might try to explore the drive before syncing. Over the network, synctoy seems to need this. I realize, however, that this might add a step that you don't want.

Just a thought.

Synctoy 2 doesn't work? I do pretty much the exact same thing you do (attach HDD in external enclosure, run synctoy, turn drive off after done copying). I've also got this same drive mapped through a network and it sync's over the network without an issue.

You might try to explore the drive before syncing. Over the network, synctoy seems to need this. I realize, however, that this might add a step that you don't want.

Just a thought.
I've never heard of Synctoy but I'll give it a consideration. The last poster linked to a site that has a Sync that you actually install onto the USB drive; nothing is left on the PC when the USB drive it turned off. Now, if you can get it add that program to the auto-run menu when you turn on the USB drive, that would work out great. Just click the button in the pop-up. ;)

Back