Free Really Nice Disk Defragmenter

AuDioFreaK39

Limp Gawd
Does anyone know of a really good free disk defragmenter that is like better than the one built into XP?

Concur. DIRMS is about the best free one that I know of. Other have trial versions. O&O Defrag is said to be the best. I believe it has a 30-day free trial but don't hold me to it.

This makes the overall process quite slow if you have many files, but the algorithm never fails to completely defrag your disk, no matter how full it is (well, you need some free space). My machine at work has a disk full of about 112,000 files and folders taking up about 15GB and it takes less than 8 hours to do a total disk defrag.

8 hours for 112K files over 15GB? I'll give this a shot as it looks good... but don't know if I can wait 8 hours to defrag a drive.

that one seems pretty good, but i dont know how to install it. i read the readme but it just didnt make sense because it said to put the defrag.exe and defragps.dll files to a directory on my hard drive thats before the windows file system..(?). i just dont understand at all

OK. It doesn't look like it really takes 8 hours unless you have a severly fragemented / slow drive.

The thing about before the windows system directory is just to make it easier... it isn't necessary. Also, this program assumes that you know something about DOS.

To make it easiest, download and unzip the program to Documents and Settings \ <username>. Then open a command window (run > cmd). It should default to the directory you just unzipped to.

At the prompt, type: defrag -i

You'll get a message telling you that it has installed. MS Antispyware warned of a service change here. Allow it.

Then type: defrag /? to get a list of available switches.
Typing: defrag -d c: will defrag the c drive (and so on).

Seems to work pretty well but is slower (a lot) than something like DIRMS.

That program worked pretty good, but yet I have another question. Back in the day when I had Windows 98, the built in Windows Disk Defragmenter had an image that showed the physical status of all the files on your hard drive. Windows XP doesn't have that (if it does, please show me where). So is there a free program that will let me view the physical file status of my C drive? Thanks in advance.

Are you wanting a free defragger that will show a graphical progress indicator? Or are you just looking for something will show you a graphical representation of the files on your drives?

And, if I may be so bold, why? Just morbid curiosity?

If you want the best defragmentation program period, it will cost you money. It is worth every cent, however. A thirty day free trial is available.

O&O Defrag V6.5

I like Perfect Disk. It works pretty well. But of course, you have to pay for it. :(

Start->All Programs-> Accesories ->system Tools -> Disk Defrag

There's your nice pretty defrag, not as good as the command line one I linked.

Back