Free proxy with Content Filter?

Grentz

Fully [H]
As the title says, i am looking for a free proxy server application with content filter....that can run on windows (server 2k3 to be exact). I have a small network (<20 users) that have light internet usage (email, some web surfing, etc.). I need to implement a content filter though.

I have looked at doing it through a linux firewall (smoothwall, ipcop, etc.) but it would require an upgrade to their current smoothwall machine hardware as it is not powerful enough to handle content filtering. Thus I would really like to run it on the server 2k3 box they have that is really unused for the most part and very powerful.

The best I have found is SafeSquid...which would be perfect, but they stopped the windows version development and took out URL Blacklists! (which is the only feature I really need...).

I would like to use standard blacklists from a site like http://urlblacklist.com/ and be able to pick which categories to block...thats it. Dont need caching, keyword analysis, or anything else but if they are there it is not a problem.

Does the 2K3 box have virtualization? Could run Squid in a VM on it. Or even run smoothwall in a VM on it with content filter -- would no longer need the smoothwall box in place either, so saves some power.

Does the 2K3 box have virtualization? Could run Squid in a VM on it. Or even run smoothwall in a VM on it with content filter -- would no longer need the smoothwall box in place either, so saves some power.

Thx for the tip.

It does not have a VM on it, but I could install one possibly. Might have to be careful though cause there are some things running on it that are mission critical.

I think I might have solved my issue though, I found http://www.urlfilter.net/ which is a lighter weight smoothwall mod that does blacklists. It seems to work on the smoothwall box there without issue and without slowing it down too much.

Only odd thing is that it is currently working perfectly except for one of the categories is not taking effect (proxies LOL!). I checked the lists that I loaded and the urls and format is right, but it just will not load that category for some reason :rolleyes:

O well, it is not a big deal as most of the people there are not going to know how to do that, and even if they do the idea is to keep the casual surfing to a minimum and block some phising and virus laiden sites that can sometimes get clicked to accidently.

instead of using a proxy to filter traffic, why not do it with DNS - OpenDNS is free and you can block adult sites + add stuff to a block list (myspace, facebook, youtube, etc)

you wouldn't have to change your hardware to do it either.

instead of using a proxy to filter traffic, why not do it with DNS - OpenDNS is free and you can block adult sites + add stuff to a block list (myspace, facebook, youtube, etc)

you wouldn't have to change your hardware to do it either.

Already using it, but the built in protection is pretty vague and it would take forever to add the additional list of sites to it.

Thx for the idea though.

How about OpenDNS?

www.OpenDNS.com

Here you can implement all kinds of filtering. It will probably be the most efficient way to implement some kind of content filtering.

Back