free program to combine AVI files

Red Squirrel

[H]F Junkie
I used autoGK to rip a DVD (work related medical training videos) but since it was in tracks, I want to combine the AVI files in one big AVI file, which I will then need to convert to SWF to put on their Intranet.

using google for stuff like this is hopeless. Too many scams. I even got hit with a driveby while searching. Was quite surprise firefox let that through.

I rather someone who had experience with an app that way I know it's legit.

Anyone know of an app that will do it? Don't need anything fancy, even command line will do. Probably only going to need to do this once. Thanks in advance.

There are lots of programs to do this -- but if you want something quick and dirty -- I think Windows Movie Maker will work.

The problem with using VirtualDub is that you have to have the codecs installed for the format you're trying to join - VirtualDub cannot make use of Windows 7's native multiformat decoder (meaning if you try and load an AVI encoded with Xvid into VirtualDub running on Windows 7, or Vista, or even XP) it'll balk at you because you don't have the actual Xvid codec installed.

And I don't recommend installing each individual codec because that can wreak havoc down the line.

The recommendation for using Avidemux (pronounced as "AVI demux") is a solid one and I would recommend it myself. It's pretty easy to use actually, and doesn't require you to install codecs as it uses internal ones that are called up only when needed so it doesn't muck up how Windows uses codecs internally.

I've never had a problem with FFDShow on Windows 7 to do all my external codec decoding so I don't know.

Well yeah, that can work as well but the general recommendation with Windows 7 (and no other version of Windows) is not to use additional codecs since the native multiformat decoder in that OS can handle pretty much anything by itself. ;)

FFDshow is nice but for the most part unnecessary in Windows 7 unless you need access to DirectShow filters and without them as soon as you try to load a file in VirtualDub you get this (depending on the codec required, that is):

vduberror.png

For such purposes, FFDShow fills in as a Video for Windows codec so the file gets loaded properly into VirtualDub.

I see, I guess I just liked FFDShow to override what was in Windows because it does support a few more codecs and is more efficient.

I also like the control I get with FFDShow to to things like real-time scaling of video and mixing of audio for different displays and speakers/headphone uses.

FFDShow also doesn't seem to be messy or anything. But I guess a AVI stitching program would be best if you didn't need an external decoder.

FFDshow is nice but for the most part unnecessary in Windows 7 unless you need access to DirectShow filters and without them as soon as you try to load a file in VirtualDub you get this (depending on the codec required, that is):

For such purposes, FFDShow fills in as a Video for Windows codec so the file gets loaded properly into VirtualDub.

Being a DirectShow filter doesn't allow you to use it as a VFW decompressor. It just so happens that ffdshow comes with a VFW interface during the installation that allows you to use the DirectShow filter in conjunction with VFW. Uncheck the VFW iterface and it'll no longer work.

Back