Free or cheap server backup software

• Thread starter Deleted member 19858
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 19858

I know Windows has a built in backup program which I may use. However I am wanting to know if there is a better solution. I will need to backup IIS, SQL, Exchange, and data. Veritas and Dantz cost way too much and I don't want some junk program. If there is nothing good would it be safe to say I should do weekly full backups and differential throughout the week.

I looked into backup software very heavily around Feb of this year. I found dantz to be a great product and also a recomended by several people, but as you said it gets expensive. As for free or cheap, I personaly would stay away from cheap, NT backup is written by veritas, is included in windows and should do what you need. If the data is very important, ie the servers at your office per say, then the weekly and differential you have written down is fine, then at the month end do one.

If this is a company i would suggest splurging for either veritas backup exe or dantz

...gottta take the server down to use it but norton ghost 2003 is impeccable.

Nt Back up is pure garbage. I used Turbo Tape (Free) It only works on few drives tho.

is there a tar like alternative for windows? that would be handy

or you could even interface a unix box with your windows box, mounting windows shares, and using tar on the *nix box to pull them onto a tape drive

I don't agree that NTBackup is pure garbage. I use it to back up to a Seagate DDS-3 tape drive and a standby server hard drive, with no problems. The only thing it doesn't do that you might want is open file backup.

- Qualm

Qualm said:
I don't agree that NTBackup is pure garbage. I use it to back up to a Seagate DDS-3 tape drive and a standby server hard drive, with no problems. The only thing it doesn't do that you might want is open file backup.

- Qualm

I use it often as well. It supports Exchange, and works just fine.

SQL on the other hand could be tricky.

Easiest way of SQL I know of it to just set it up to do the backups then use NT backup to back those up.

Back