Free network mapping/inventory software?

Lucasta

Weaksauce
Hey guys I've been tasked by the boss man to come up with a way to map our network and pull a device inventory. As it stands currently I'm looking for something free that can do this. I know that free isnt going to get me much. I'm not that concerned about pretty diagrams and the like, I just need something that will scan the network and spit out a list of connected devices, preferable with OS version info included. Anyone know of something that can do this or maybe something that we can use on a trial to see how well it works before dumping cash in to it?

Lansweeper or Spiceworks

I second this suggestion.

However, to the OP - something to take into considerations is that this can get tricky when you are trying to scan firewalled subnets, or if you don't have the appropriate credentials that are standardized. If you are on a domain, I strongly recommend a service account that gives the proper permissions. But this all largely depends on how much information you are looking to gather.

I basically just need something that will scan each office I cover, which is 6 at the moment. They are all separate and we have no domain. Just need basic info like how many devices are attached and what OS they are running. I could just go to each office and do it manually but if there was a way to run something from each server and just copy that list from there that would be perfect.

Use nmap or zenmap, use the output function to output to text or xml and BAM, plus nmap is so powerful it can do so much working around things like firewalls etc etc, and zenmap will create a network map for you as well, as long as you run -A or -traceroute option.

Back