Free Microsoft Windows Server 2008 / SQL Server 2008 / Visual Studio 2008

hmm, des moines is close for me, but the register button doesn't work. maybe i'll try later.

so how many people do you think will resell even though it states "not-for-resale"?
 
im going to try and go to the one in Boston, are you sure its not just going to be a 120 day free trial of server 2008?
 
I am in for the one in Detroit. visual studio is the main one for me
 
It looks like official registration is only open to premier event in Los Angeles at the present time.
 
"promotional version"

Probably getting something with limited features?
 
It would be nice if it worked that way but the software is given out after the function and sometimes it is only a voucher that has to be redeemed online for the software shipment from Microsoft. They don't make it that easy for you. ;)

yeah, if you live close enough to one, just walk through the doors, get the software, and leave. BAM, server 2k8
 
I have had both experiences: they make you wait to the end for a voucher, or what you get is full-featured but time-limited.

I don't bother anymore. I have a reseller I work with that forwards nice genuine freebies to me, like the full version of Office 2007. I haven't had to buy office for years now thanks to them. :cool:
 
It would be nice if it worked that way but the software is given out after the function and sometimes it is only a voucher that has to be redeemed online for the software shipment from Microsoft. They don't make it that easy for you. ;)

Yea what he said. Events are generaly worth going to though if you are in the field. Going to a ts2 event tuesday. Get my free pop corn and small soda while listening to them go on about server 2008. Last time I went they gave away copies of office 2007.
 
So what exactly is a "Promotional Version"?
Heck I'd drive to get a free copy of Server 2008 (Business would even pay for that one considering it's FREE), but is this just a trial or limited or something?
 
Promotional as in Free.

I may attend the Sac conference, if I have the time. Of all the loads of legit software I own, I've paid about $50 total (WinME, XP Pro, Vista Biz, Vista HP, Office 2k, Office 2k3, Office 2k7, etc.). And I've never actually had to go to an event. :)
 
I think this is one of the first times I've seen one of these events come along that I have actual, legitimate reasons to attend. I don't even particularly care about the free software, I just want to see if Server 2008 is to Server 2003 as Vista is to XP, because if it is, I'm prepared to have an imminent decrease in my job satisfaction.
 
I went to the Vista Sp1 event and got nothing, not even a MS hat. I damn well expect my free shit! :D
 
there is no detail about the "promo" stuff. is it a legitimate copy that i can upgrade our IT infrastructure to? if so, i'm going =D. i've signed up anyway, but will read more about the details here from people who have already attended. if they can, indeed, utilize free upgrade to w2k8+sql2k8 then hell yeah, my boss would definitely say, GO FOR IT :D. if it works, all we gotta do is buy more CAL's for both w2k8+sql2k8 on top of their 5 included.
 
Damn...
Yeah the website gave me an error once I filled in all the contact info and such. I'll definitely be checking back on this later though. Great find!
 
The last time I attended a TS2 event they gave away exactly jack shit. They had a new presenter who increased the yawn factor, the one he replaced said we would be receiving Vista Home Premium and Office 2007 at this seminar. I got my 'rate this event' email and I raised hell about taking time off to attend the event and get nothing. No more for me, thank you.

Yea what he said. Events are generaly worth going to though if you are in the field. Going to a ts2 event tuesday. Get my free pop corn and small soda while listening to them go on about server 2008. Last time I went they gave away copies of office 2007.
 
Looks like the site is working now. I was just going to re-register because I assumed the error I was given meant that it didn't take, but apparently it did. Upon submitting it told me my username was already taken, so I went all the way back out and instead clicked on something like 'edit or change registration details' so I put in my user and pass and continued from where I left off - this time with no errors! :cool:

This will be the first one of these I attend. I found out today that our company's infrastructure architect already signed up to go too.
 
I signed up for the event on April_1st... informed my department I'd be out on PTO that day and then the manager of my boss said I could take the day off for free! For me this deal came with a free day off from work.
 
well i got confirmation email today for the detroit show. the show is on march 18 tho, will be a little while before i get the goods tho
 
well i got confirmation email today for the detroit show. the show is on march 18 tho, will be a little while before i get the goods tho

I got my confirmation also... looking forward to going to the event.

Microsoft has been pretty generous to me during the past 6 months... free Office 2007 Ultimate, free Windows Vista Ultimate and now this.... can't complain one bit, though I have a feeling I won't be so happy when tax season arrives next year ;).
 
im going to try and go to the one in Boston, are you sure its not just going to be a 120 day free trial of server 2008?

It may/may not be a 120 day trial version, but MS is likely to hand out what they did at the Vista release. A pre-release version that only has limited support. You might be able to use it forever, but eventually they'll cut off Windows Update to it and future patches from that point will be made "incompatible with this version of Windows."
 
So what exactly do we have to do at one of these events? I'm thinking about attending one in May so I have some time to see how everyone else makes out before signing up.
 
Over the years I have received anything from betas to full NFR Operating Systems/Office 20XX versions, it's all according to how far along developement is at that time. I have taken home full operating versions of add-ons or some times you get vouchers and you have to order the software using your given code. No two I have attended was handled in the same manner. The last one I attended had absolutely nothing to offer, just a wasted day other than getting a preview on the software. If you don't look like you belong there, don't attend. Many times they will go around the room and ask where you work and what is your job description.......


.....I don't want to turn this into a dialogue or discussion, just a warning that it might not be a free ride if you don't look the part. Sign up and take the experience yourself.
 
Over the years I have received anything from betas to full NFR Operating Systems/Office 20XX versions, it's all according to how far along developement is at that time. I have taken home full operating versions of add-ons or some times you get vouchers and you have to order the software using your given code. No two I have attended was handled in the same manner. The last one I attended had absolutely nothing to offer, just a wasted day other than getting a preview on the software. If you don't look like you belong there, don't attend. Many times they will go around the room and ask where you work and what is your job description.......


.....I don't want to turn this into a dialogue or discussion, just a warning that it might not be a free ride if you don't look the part. Sign up and take the experience yourself.

Hell I've recieved full retail boxed software with no nfr sticker on it before from ms events. Never have seen them. As far as them walking around I've never seen them do that but I guess if someone looked out of place they would say something.

I do agree with you that pretty much every ms event I've been too has been handled different. The last ts2 I went to a week or so ago they gave us 10 dollar visa gift cards to hit up the consession stand for pop-corn and what not. Everytime I've been before it was just a peice of paper that said it was valid for that day only.
 
Over the years I have received anything from betas to full NFR Operating Systems/Office 20XX versions, it's all according to how far along developement is at that time. I have taken home full operating versions of add-ons or some times you get vouchers and you have to order the software using your given code. No two I have attended was handled in the same manner. The last one I attended had absolutely nothing to offer, just a wasted day other than getting a preview on the software. If you don't look like you belong there, don't attend. Many times they will go around the room and ask where you work and what is your job description.......


.....I don't want to turn this into a dialogue or discussion, just a warning that it might not be a free ride if you don't look the part. Sign up and take the experience yourself.

Domo, do you think they would care if an IT college student was attending? I'm going into the networking field, and they are coming like, right next to my college so I figured getting a look at 2008 server couldn't hurt.
 
Registered for the Dallas event...now let's see if I can get an off day.
 
Back
Top