Free Linspire 5.0

urbanlegend786 said:
anyone know the approximite installation time for linspire>>>>also the time for ubuntu????
Installing any operating system always depends on:
1. CPU Speed
2. Packages Selected (non windown/osx)
3. HDD Speed
4. Amount of RAM

On a P4 2.0ghz, 1gb RAM, ATA100 HDD, with a custom package selection, I installed WhiteBox Enterprise Linux in about 20-30 minutes.

Per ubutu, there's a live CD, where you can boot off of the cdrom, so you can try it out.

If you want to try out a linux, you can download an ISO from many mirrors, and burn it to a CDR.

Linuxes I've played with:
Fedora - don't really like it, I can never get it to install properly.
Mandrake - usually works pretty well, good for beginners
Knoppix - Live CD distribution, tried it out, pretty cool. You can also do a full install from the CD of Debian, I think.
Slackware - this is for hardcore linux nerds, the install takes too bloody long IMO.
Debian - see Slackware
SuSe - German linux distribution, I haven't messed with it since 1996.

Other:
Solaris - I think it should be called SLOWaris, I freaking hate this OS.
OpenBSD - the pkgadd command is much nicer than RPM, I give this OS high marks!
Cobalt Linux - There was a company called Cobalt, for awhile, which sold 1U servers, they were bought out buy Sun. The OS is a very annoyingly customized version of linux.

Probably missing some, heh.

Thanks...haven't messed with Linspire in years...but now it'll give me something to do when I'm bored.

Sweet. Downloading now...I think I'm gonna try it with VMWare Workstation 5...then I might put in on an older box.

Thanks!

TM

vbrtrmn said:
Per ubutu, there's a live CD, where you can boot off of the cdrom, so you can try it out.

I have to say I'm wicked impressed- I have been meaning to tinker with Linux for years and jumped at the chance to download this ISO.

Tossed it in my V5-6000 box, hit the run from CD option and in 10 minutes or less was websurfing through my network/DSL connection.

I'll install it in the main daily box in dual boot config and start exploring this week, much obliged to the first poster for the heads up.

urbanlegend786 said:
anyone know the approximite installation time for linspire>>>>also the time for ubuntu????

Took me about 15 minutes to be totally up and running on a 1.2 celeron.

thanks dude...but...im a linux noob, so do you guys mind telling me how to burn it to a cd? :p i know i have to burn the iso, but i didnt get any iso's. i just got a bunch of files. same thign happened with another program a few days ago

oOo sam lee oOo said:
thanks dude...but...im a linux noob, so do you guys mind telling me how to burn it to a cd?

Fired up Nero, picked "ISO" as burning project, pointed Nero to the ISO file "linspire_5.0.59.iso" that was downloaded from Linspire, burned the disc, tossed it into another machine and rebooted it.

yea but i didnt get an iso. after unzipping everything i got
linspirefolderss.jpg

when i open the LIVE folder, i get a folder called ISO but tehres nthing in there

Yes! Free, functioning software. Downloading now. I've always wante to see what this Lindows was all about. Wonder if you can fold on it?

Kubuntu was probably the quickest/simplest install I've ever seen.

I was on it for a week, now I'm back to SuSe on 9.3
I've always wanted to see how linspire was though. ...thanks for the DL m8s. :)

Back