Free Intranet Instant Messaging?

Ruffy

[H]ard|Gawd
I've used a few clients before but have never set up my own server for this type of thing.

Office of 17 ppl want to be able to send messages to each other to reduce the walking/ammount of post its that eventually just get ignored. Since it's a small company without the budget to buy much software, (Windows Server, XP, Licences, Office, Exchange, and Quickbooks have already owned them)

Since the internet is essentially the equivalant of an ISDN standard ones are no go.
Client to Client is doable with alot out there but they would prefer a centralized server for Management.

Now we do plan on Implementating an Exchange Server soon. Mostly because they would like the ability to share contacts and so on. It wont be doing any actual email(Tho it might be better to set it up for email and have them email each other but they expressed their dislike for this)

So. Any freeware solutions out there?

Trillian Rendezvous

edit: crap I think it might only be in the Pro version, sorry :(

net send
msn messenger

Exchange has a IM feature, is it just an extension of msn messenger or its own thing? Not sure about that.

Jabber is the only open-source IM service I know of. We use it here, but I don't admin the server. We use the Exodus client.

I and several other people used net send at our high school. It eventually got blocked (i still found a way) and one person got suspended for accidentally sending a msg to the whole district :p Good times...

BoxDude said:
I and several other people used net send at our high school. It eventually got blocked (i still found a way) and one person got suspended for accidentally sending a msg to the whole district :p Good times...

hehe... I was helping out at a high school a couple of years ago and showed one of the kids how to do this. I went back the next week and all the kids in the library were doing it. The week after, they'd blocked the port on the router.

Net Send works, but isn't very user friendly.

Net send is limited to only Windows machines and most (good ones) IT admins disable this on the client side anyways.

KoolDrew said:
Pop Messenger? I think that is what it is called.

winpopup. No thanks.

Jabber Server, I'll look into it. Didnt know the server was avail free. if so i'll just use Gaim or any other jabber supported client.

I know exchange has the IM feature but I dont know if it's extra in cost. Will have to look into it. Since we are implementating an lite exchange server anyways, might be worth it to just enable that feature.

Thanks for the suggestions, time for sleep.

Corporate Messenger should fill the bill here. From that page:

Corporate Messenger (VCM) has many features besting the popular IM competition:

Does not require server
Encrypted Messaging
Chatrooms
File transfers
Message History
Enhanced customization options
Easy to understand and helpful GUI
Secure, firewall-proof, and virus-free
HTTP-Tunnel technology
24-hour online chat support
No spam, pop-ups, or banners

I've used it in the past for Intranet work; nothing else out there can touch it really. And yes, it's free.

Just my $.02.
bb

Back