Free file sync program

F1xxer

Weaksauce
I'd like a free file sync utility that I can use to keep folders sync'd between my server and external backup drive.

I searched sourceforge and found a few programs, but would like some feedback from people here.

Thanks.

SyncToy from Microsoft. It's part fo the XP Powertoys, and it works really well.

djnes said:
SyncToy from Microsoft. It's part fo the XP Powertoys, and it works really well.

I have set up a couple of my relatives with it as a quick and dirty backup solution. Combined with a cheap external USB drive they only connect while running Synctoy to make a backup, a cheap and easy backup solution for data files only.

Created a batch file to run it with a couple of switches. Tell the them to connect the drive and wait for the beeps. Double-click the icon on their desktop. Wait for it to complete (typically 2-3 minutes with their rates of data change), then perform a clean removal of the device using the disconnect icon in the systray.

Three steps, very little time (the first sync for the ones I set up with just a 5 of gigs of data was about 15-20 mins each, after that just a couple of minutes).

Even my aunt can follow the directions.

djnes said:
Another vote for SyncToy, easy to use and gets the job done.

They released it awhile ago, it wasn't in the first round of Powertoys.

Back