Free ESXi 5.0 8 GB vRAM Limit

hahaha. My docs say "until Wednesday August 3rd." but apparently there is some announcement coming out later, so I'm not sure if I can say anything yet.

I'm not allowed to speak until 5pm...supposedly that's the announcement time. Blog post is set to hit at 5:05 Eastern. :)

EST EDT,I find it hard enough with GMT, or UTC to BST, either way it's way past when i stop getting paid, so will see what the reactions are now.

5PM! Free version increases to 32GB overall (pRAM / vRAM) per server. See other thread for additional details.

edit: getting clarification on vram (I've heard it both ways now - pram only, vram + pram)

this definitely makes me happy, can't wait for this to be released so i can start playing

I have no excuses now to stuff another 8GB in my lab I guess. Thanks VMware...:rolleyes:

:p

Yeah I was a bit concerned too about the pRAM/vRAM, but from the updating pricing PDF:

"Users can remotely manage individual vSphere Hypervisor hosts using the vSphere Client. vSphere Hypervisor is entitled to 32GB of vRAM per server (regardless of the number of processors) and can be utilized on servers with up to 32GB of physical RAM."

Just great! I will have to get another 16GB of ram for my new build. I was going to be splitting my current 16GB:D

Yep. 32GB of pRAM. No vRAM worries. Stuff as much as you can.
Sorry I don't really understand all of this. When you say it's 32GB of pRAM and then you say stuff all you want, do you mean that each virtual machine has a max amount of 32GB? So if you have 128GB of RAM you could split 32/4VM and be ok? How does the pRam work vs. vRam?

Sorry I don't really understand all of this. When you say it's 32GB of pRAM and then you say stuff all you want, do you mean that each virtual machine has a max amount of 32GB? So if you have 128GB of RAM you could split 32/4VM and be ok? How does the pRam work vs. vRam?

I think the way he said it might have confused you.

The new license means that you can only run the free version on systems with a maximum of 32 GB of RAM. If you have a 48 GB system, it wouldn't run, or the very least you'd be out of license compliance (not sure how they'd enforce that).

In terms of vRAM, you get a 32 GB allocation, no matter how many processors or cores you have. vRAM is the amount of RAM used for powered-up VMs.

32gb for the entire machine

Thanks guys. That's what I initially thought but when he said stuff away that made me think twice lol.

Does this mean you can't over-provisions your VMs with ram and use esxi's dynamic allocation?

Okay. Let me try this once more.

You can have 32GB of physical RAM in a box running ESXi. Do with it what you want. Over provision. Over commit. WHATEVER. Use it. It's not that complicated.

So you are saying that we only have 32GB of physical RAM? That's bullsh!t!..lol.:D

Last edited:
So you are saying that we only have 32GB of physical RAM? That's bullsh!t!..lol.:rolleyes:

Haha! I thought it would take a lot longer than one day for someone to start complaining about the new "limitations." :D

Haha! I thought it would take a lot longer than one day for someone to start complaining about the new "limitations." :D

It was a joke.....

Well they are better, but there are some of us that have home systems that are already at or over the new limit. Hell, the new laptop I'm looking at supports 32GB ram.

Then buy an Essentials license...or use something else. It's free. And for what it does it's damn good.

Then buy an Essentials license...or use something else. It's free. And for what it does it's damn good.
I tried XenServer at home with my current 12GB machine and ran out of memory the first day. If you don't use more than 32GB ram, there is nothing better than vSphere.

Yes, yes you say the same thing every single time. "If you don't like the changes, give them your money, or go fuck yourself!" It's fun when Microsoft is seen as the right way for personal and small businesses to learn and use their software at the lower end.

Anyways, I'm done whining about how I'm being squeezed to spend money on features I don't need to utilize hardware I've been using if I want to use the newest version of software I've been using for the past few years.

And apologies in advance to NJ, I've been living out of a hotel for the past 10 days and am cranky.

I think 32GB for home lab is pretty reasonable. If you have hosts with more ram than that then it shouldn't be too much of an issue to spend extra $500 to get essentials license.

I tried XenServer at home with my current 12GB machine and ran out of memory the first day. If you don't use more than 32GB ram, there is nothing better than vSphere.

And even then, with TPS/RP/Balloon/Compression, 32GB can get you a LOT.

Yes, yes you say the same thing every single time. "If you don't like the changes, give them your money, or go fuck yourself!" It's fun when Microsoft is seen as the right way for personal and small businesses to learn and use their software at the lower end.

Anyways, I'm done whining about how I'm being squeezed to spend money on features I don't need to utilize hardware I've been using if I want to use the newest version of software I've been using for the past few years.

And apologies in advance to NJ, I've been living out of a hotel for the past 10 days and am cranky.

I run Oracle (the DB), 2 web servers, a file server, 10 view desktops, a dev box, an AD server, a testing 2k8 box, all in 8GB with resources carved up right. :)

If 32GB isn't enough, you really DO need the license.

Back