Free & Easy Remote Desktop software for Tech Support?

Zarathustra[H]

Extremely [H]
Hey all,

What applications do you guys use for this? Today my dad called me with his printer not working. After some unsuccessful attempts of trying to walk him through troubleshooting over the phone, I tried to get him to invite me with Windows 10 Remote Assistance, but it just gave him the error that his computer was not set up to send invitations.

Not sure what that was about. Then on a whim, I had him join and create a join.me meeting, and once I could see his screen and control his mouse I quickly fixed the problem.

Join.me isn't the best for this purpose though, as it prevents you from performing admin tasks (once you start something that requires elevated privileges, you lose mouse control)

Are there any better alternatives for next time I could use to screen share with him?

I liked the fact that join.me didn't require me to mess with port forwards for a direct connection like something like VNC would.

I don't really know what other options there are. I'm not a professional, so I am obviously not going to go out and buy an expensive software package for this purpose.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Maybe there is a quick fix to the "this computer is not set up to send invitations" message. (Maybe this is because he uses webmail, and doesn't have a email address associated with Windows?)

Appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,
Matt

Teamviewer and lock the hell out of it.

Remove the random password.
Add your account and only your account to the whitelist.
Set permissions for remote access to prompt. Everything.

I use the Quick Support version of TeamViewer. I'd rather not have something like that running on someone's machine until I need to connect. The quick support executable needs no install, just put it on their desktop and have them run it as needed.

Back