Free drive ghosting software?

EET

Limp Gawd
Does anyone know if there is any free ghosting software available anywhere? I'm gonna check prices when I go to work tonight, I just did a fresh install with drivers & such, and I'm at a point I'd like to ghost the drive. Would the system restore tool be alright to use? I haven't really looked at it yet.

Gparted may be able to do it. It is available as a liveCD boot.
Otherwise you can use a linux liveCD and dd if=/olddrive of=newdrive
If you own a WD drive, you can use their "drive diagnostic tools" which has a cloning program. It's free if you own one of their HDDs and it's either the source or destination.

Gparted may be able to do it.

Do you know how to do this? I'm asking because I would really like to know if it can. I think GParted is one of the most useful apps available, and having the ability to ghost a drive as well would be awesome!! I'm assuming that this would be done by moving a partition from one drive to another, but I have tried this, and have yet to succeed, so any information you could provide would be great.

its a little late now, probably, but a little while back in the free forum, someone posted a link to download acronis v7. i jumped on it but haven't installed it yet. i think acronis is now up to v10 and they were giving away 7 in hopes of people upgrading.

search the free forum and see if the deal is still alive.

Nah, it's not too late ;) I did some looking before I punched in at work (Best Buy), and didn't really see anything. I know we used to carry Norton Ghost, but I didn't see it or any other ghosting program on the shelf. I'll look into the ones you guys mentioned, thanks for a timelizzy reply :D

i use an OEM version of Ghost that runs in DOS (think Win98)... it can dump your C partition in a separate FAT32 partition but it can't dump it on an NTFS partition... so my setup looks like this

C: 10GB NTFS (xp)
D: 400GB NTFS (stuff)
E: 10GB FAT32 (restore drive)

Ghost 2003 is suppose to be able to dump a partition on an NTFS drive but I couldn't get that to work with mine. I also like the fact that the partition dump program runs in DOS meaning, its a "clean and complete" dump

Another software would be power quest partition magic, which I haven't used.

PartitionMagic does it? I have 8.0, and I'm lookin'... I see 'Create backup partition' and 'Copy a partition'. They look to be the only two possibilities. Am I missin' something?

I'm sorry I meant Power Quest Image Center aka Deploy Center... I'm just so used to Partition Magic since that's what I use to format new drives really fast.

I wouldn't use those options from Partition Magic if I were you

Back