• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Free Backup Software

rsgunter

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Feb 24, 2007
Messages
1,325
Does anyone know of any good backup software on the cheap(or better yet free) that can automatically backup data on a schedule that is compatible with Vista? I really don't want to spend 30 bucks on Seagates Auto Backup.

Thanks in advance,
Ryan
 
I have run Cobian backup in the past...I ran it on XP but it claims to be computable with Vista. Here is a link:

http://www.educ.umu.se/~cobian/cobianbackup.htm

Software worked great until I started doing incremental backups with it, it sometimes had a bit of a problem figuring out what was new and what wasn't..
 
I believe SyncToy can be scheduled. I use it manually and it works great.
 
if you're just backing up files and don't need full images there a few things

rsync
rdiff-backup
robocopy

first two have windows binaries and the last is a windows program. you can set it up in task scheduler pretty easily. all do differential backups so it won't take forever.
 
Thanks guys, I've been meaning to get back to this thread. I'll try some of these out over the weekend. :)

I looked at Acronis but I really don't need to spend 50 bucks on something that I won't use to it's fullest capability.

I basically just have an OS drive that I keep my OS, apps, and games on. So basically I don't mind if it goes under. I just need to make sure that my 500gb media drive is backed up because I DO care if it goes under. So yeah, just basic data backup is all I need.

Thanks dudes.
 
Back
Top