FREDRIK vs Jerker

AltTabbins

Fully [H]
Looking for a new desk and I thought I would invest in the legendary Ikea Jerker... only problem is that they don't make them anymore (at least they aren't on the website). They do have a new desk that is KIND of like the Jerker.. its called the Fredrik

Is the Fredrik as good as the Jerker? I have looked EVERYWHERE for a Jerker and I cant find one. I may have to settle for the Fredrik... but I was wondering if I should put that on hold and keep an eye on craigslist/ebay for a while or if the Frederik is close enough.

The big difference I see between the Jerker and the Frederik is that the Frederik is not as deep.

The Jerker is 90cm (35inches) deep while the Frederik is 62cm (24.4inches) deep. If you have a CRT monitor the extra depth on the Jerker is nice, but for an LCD it's completely unnecessary and you might find that you're not even using the rear most 6 inches.

I think they stopped offering the cool add-ons as well like the monitor arm. I used mine for my tower on the left column sticking out rather than in because it rotates and made it really easy to access the side or back of the case without having to pick it up and move it.

I used to hate that they got rid of the Jerker, until I sat down to write this reply and realized that the Frederik meets all my needs now (my new case is too big for the left monitor arm anyway).

Hope this helped.

Check your craigslist for your area, I just picked up a black and silver jerker with 2 monitor stands, add on shelf and magazine baskets for 100$.

*btw I love this damned desk!

I love my Jerker, but I found that the posts on the sides (I have the one that looks like a rack workstation) get in the way of my multi-monitor setup. Because of that, I use the Jerker for my network, and my work laptop w/extra monitor. My main machine is used from a table I put in an 'L'.

I don't have any of the add-ons or anything, just the original Jerker, with an extra shelf on the top of it as well. I wish it were just a bit wider, then I wouldn't need the extra table and would take up less space in my office.

R

The big difference I see between the Jerker and the Frederik is that the Frederik is not as deep.

The Jerker is 90cm (35inches) deep while the Frederik is 62cm (24.4inches) deep. If you have a CRT monitor the extra depth on the Jerker is nice, but for an LCD it's completely unnecessary and you might find that you're not even using the rear most 6 inches.

I think they stopped offering the cool add-ons as well like the monitor arm. I used mine for my tower on the left column sticking out rather than in because it rotates and made it really easy to access the side or back of the case without having to pick it up and move it.

I used to hate that they got rid of the Jerker, until I sat down to write this reply and realized that the Frederik meets all my needs now (my new case is too big for the left monitor arm anyway).

Hope this helped.

Actually the larger Fredrik is about 28 3/8" deep, and about a foot wider at 50 3/8" wide than the smaller Fredrik. Never had a Jerker, but the Fredrik is darn nice desk. Then again I have one so I'm a bit biased :p. Pic is here. It does suck that they don't offer the attachments that were available for the Jerker though, the most you can buy is an itty bitty keyboard tray and a single drawer storage unit. The drawer look nice though.

Actually the larger Fredrik is about 28 3/8" deep, and about a foot wider at 50 3/8" wide than the smaller Fredrik.

I don't have a tape measure handy- is the Fredrik wider than the Jerker?

R

---Update: The Jerker is 47" and change wide, so yes, it appears the Fredrik is wider. Looks like I might need a new desk.

The width of actual usable desk area on tthe Fredrik is about 47 1/4". I guess Ikea also takes into account the side supports in their measurements, since they bulge out a bit.

I just measured my Fredrik and its 54-1/4" long by 28-3/4" wide. If im not mistaken, the Fredrik comes in two sizes, a short one and a long one. I got the long one. The shorter one comes with the shelf attachement if you wish, while the longer one doesn't

I got my fredrik around 2-3 weeks ago, and I'm really impressed on the quality. Its very strong and stable. An excellent table overall.

As for the difference between the Jerker and Fredrik, I'm not too sure on that, I just know that the Jerker is a discontinued line-up and replaced by the Fredrik, they both serve the exact same purpose though.

Actually the larger Fredrik is about 28 3/8" deep, and about a foot wider at 50 3/8" wide than the smaller Fredrik. Never had a Jerker, but the Fredrik is darn nice desk. Then again I have one so I'm a bit biased :p. Pic is here. It does suck that they don't offer the attachments that were available for the Jerker though, the most you can buy is an itty bitty keyboard tray and a single drawer storage unit. The drawer look nice though.

That just put me over the edge.. That is an amazing setup. Looks like I get to make a trip up to SLC to get one :)

thanks guys.

i love my jerker, i bought it few months before it became discontinued.

right now, i'm looking for a black shelf. :D

I have a Frederick...

It's sitting in my garage unassembled.

I had a dual monitor setup, and the desk felt too weak and wobbly. Setting my arm down on the desk to use the mouse, or even using the keyboard would cause it to move a little. Not enough for me to think that it would break or fall over, but I prefer a sturdy desk.

I keep going back to my ugly, old table that can hold like 500 lbs. It gives me comfort being able to stand on the thing and not have it break (and I'm 6'4" 230 lbs).

Fred is a good looking desk and I would recommend it to users with one LCD, who keep their chassis on the ground (unless its a SFF).

You should check out the Galant from Ikea. Very modular so you can design it to fit your space. I needed a very sturdy corner desk in order to hold my 96 lb CRT monitor (Sony GDM-FW900), and the Galant fit the bill nicely. Very well built (I have the T-leg model). I could easily add another FW900 and not worry about it being too much for the desk. I'll get some pics of my setup and post them in the workstation thread this week.

Edit: or look here :) http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1234215&highlight=galant

IMHO, Fredrik look more flimsy compared to a Jerker. I own a Jerker myself and I compared both side by side on the Ikea showroom and this reinforced my statement.

I was lucky myself to grab one of the last 10 Jerker still for sale after hearing it was discontinued. Had to drive 2:30 hours to my closest Ikea store and grab the package first thing when I entered the store.

If you don't mind getting it used, I suggest you look in craiglist for a good one for under 100$ easily ;)

I was looking for a desk, saw a good looking no thrills jerker on craigslist, but then considering my space in this small apt, the place I would be forced to put the desk, it would block a closet door with the extra foot or so of space. So that's a no-no for me. Sad, though. It's a cheaper option, and better option, and I prefer oversized desks (even with LCDs) for actual written and organizing work. :(

I picked up the fredrik a week ago. Im pleased enough.
Though, I will be adding a cross brace to stiffen it up.
My P180 wont fit on the desk with my monitor...it could, but the shelving would have to change. I still have to get the drawer or some kind of roll out unit for the side for storage and a platform for my tower on the floor.

Im looking to add a second Samsung 226BW, as it will just fit a second one width wise, and there is about an inch between the screen and the top shelf...will be a tight, but seamless fit.

I put my speakers on the shelf, fished the wires through the legs and into the trey.

Affixed my router and phone modem(cable phone line) to the underside of the desk and placed my cable modem in the wire compartment.

I have a Fredrik. And overall it's an ok desk, but from what I've seen the jerker looks more stable than a Fredrik. Fredrik isn't that stable as im typing this my desk is shaking.

I have a Fredrik. And overall it's an ok desk, but from what I've seen the jerker looks more stable than a Fredrik. Fredrik isn't that stable as im typing this my desk is shaking.

That's what I'm talking about. The jerker legs is soldered in a T shape and the Fredrik is only screwed IIRC.

If you're on a budget and don't mind the bigger space, you can prolly find a decent condition jerker on craigslist or ebay for local pickup for pretty cheap. I saw a few people selling really good condition ones for $50-70.

Beats 149 or 169 or whatever a Fredrik is at right now.

here is mine when I got it. Still need to do more cable management and the stuff on the shelves is just junk that needed a spot.

I went from a Jerker to a Galant and am very pleased. The Galant is customizable to build the exact desk for your particular preferences. It's a much better value.

Here's my good ol' frederick (The larger one, bigger by the smaller by only 4" if i remember)

Everything fits well and is spacious: (Dual 20" monitors)

desklx7.jpg

If you haven't settled on the Frederick or Jerker, consider a Bush credenza. I love the 70" x 30" space.

do u guys think it'll support a 37inch Westy? my current desk is old and hurting.

im also looking at http://www.target.com/C-Credenza-Hansen-Cherry-72/dp/B000RB3M3O/ref=in_de_detail-buybox-with-variations/601-3552860-0845725

Jerker? Yes. The nice thing about the Jerker is that everything is adjustable. I can move my 3007 around on the desk (put two side by side) and raise and lower it... all at a good height sitting level. Worse comes to worse is that you can lower your table top or make the shelf higher.

Jerker? Yes. The nice thing about the Jerker is that everything is adjustable. I can move my 3007 around on the desk (put two side by side) and raise and lower it... all at a good height sitting level. Worse comes to worse is that you can lower your table top or make the shelf higher.

yeah i did kinda not mention which one lol. im an idiot. im asking about the Fredrik since it readily available, but its seems my suspicions were correct.

O well. Onward with the search.

I have the Frederik Workstation and love it. I added Some other table and shelve parts to it to make a side desk. I also built my own keyboard tray that attaches directly to the stock threaded holes on the underside of the desk.

Scroll down on this page to my posts to see my Frederik and how I built the keyboard tray.
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1148966&page=83

Wow I really like that long keyboard tray you made. Very nice. My Fredrik is white without any top shelves.

Yeah I really liked that keyboard tray you made for the Fredrik, do you think it would be easy to install if you sold me one?

Yeah I really liked that keyboard tray you made for the Fredrik, do you think it would be easy to install if you sold me one?

Yes it's easy to install. No I will not sell you one for two reasons. First is that I am not home for the next 3 months since I'm away on business for the AF.
Second, it is pretty easy to build one yourself for around $20-$30. All you need is to buy some MDF, rolling shelf drawer pieces, and some small hardware at Home Depot or Lowes. The only power tools you need are a drill and a circular saw or jigsaw.

If you're on a budget and don't mind the bigger space, you can prolly find a decent condition jerker on craigslist or ebay for local pickup for pretty cheap. I saw a few people selling really good condition ones for $50-70.

Beats 149 or 169 or whatever a Fredrik is at right now.

I have found both of my Jerker's on craigslist.

Make sure you're checking a craigslist around a city that has an Ikea. I drove 2hrs for mine, but I had to go to Chicago anyways for Drill...

dscf4013copyas6.jpg

I had a Jerker at college, but after graduation I was moving and had to sell it. I was told that the "frederik" was the successor to the Jerker, so when I went to Ikea to choose a desk for my apartment I thought, it's the natural choice!

My god how wrong I was. It's far smaller, far less sturdy, and just doesn't look nearly as substantial as the old Jerker. I loved that desk (best desk I've ever used), and now I'm extremely disappointed with this Frederik. If I had the choice between the two, I would go Jerker in a heartbeat.

Jerker >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Frederik

Back