• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Fraps, gamecam ? what do you use?

kinson

Gawd
Joined
Nov 14, 2005
Messages
772
This is for those 'professional' game recorders out there.

I have fraps, and gamecam, both registered. Each one seems to have their perks, but I can't stand the fact that I normally get 50-60 FPS in most games I play, then I turn on either program and record and have to play with half.

That I can deal with to an extent, until certain scenes I am around 10FPS. What do you use, how do you use it, and do you seem to have the same problem as myself?

Also, what do you use for video editing. Normally when I record it's around 1280x1024, or 1024x768. Thats with GC, thanks to fraps automatically cutting my recorded resolution in half I record at 960x600 (which doesn't bother me, it looks really good). I just wanna know what programs for compression, what kind of compression, and then what do you use for editing?

MS movie editor? Adobe Premiere? (if you have the money)... Lots of questions but those who do it often will know the answers :D I just want the best compression with the least amount of loss quality, and then throw a bit of music in there and throw it on a site or keep for reference!

Thanks in advance!
 
I used to record alot of CS1.5/1.6 demos and convert them to videos, I had Premier at the time and it was the best tool out there, atleast in my opinion, for video timeline editing. It was fantastic, I also used Divx compression.
 
If you want to record, you need to lower your settings, while playing, but thats alright, not like people are going to download x gigs of full screen video anyways, at the end you will find yourself compressing it which defeats the propose of hi res in the first place.
 
If you want to record, you need to lower your settings, while playing, but thats alright, not like people are going to download x gigs of full screen video anyways, at the end you will find yourself compressing it which defeats the propose of hi res in the first place.

Yeah I know, but for self replay value I like to have it look really good, pretty much as if I'm playing it. When I turn around and try to make some demos of games I'll definitely lower the settings.

What did you both use to record though ? Was it Fraps, GC, or another program I've yet to hear of ?
 
use the in game demo system then record that so you dont have to play at low fps.. that is what most ppl do... never heard of using it while playing.. I cant play at 30 fps..
 
I've got a question.

I've used FRAPS to check my FPS in Crysis. I'm running 1680x1050, high settings, no AA. I would swear I'm getting 30+ FPS. The game feels smooth and fast. I've noticed no choppiness or suttering. But FRAPS shows 22-28ish FPS, with the occasional 30.

Is FRAPS really accurate? At 22 FPS, the game should be really choppy.
 
no, fraps is accurate, Crysis is just playable and smooth at 20+fps, after you ge into the 15FPS range is when you really start to notice it.
 
Thats an illusion mostly caused by motion blur to help mask low frame rates, similar to the way motion blur on recorded film masks the low frame rate of only ~24-25 fps.

I find Crysis to be completely unplayable @ 30FPS or lower.
 
I don't know, I undertstand the fact it would be alot more enjoyable at 30+FPS, but even in the MP beta as long as the FPS didn't go below 20 I had no problems playing the game. I've played other games that suffer alot more from having an FPS of less than 30. This is of course my opinion and some people just can't play the game unless its above a certain FPS, thankfully im not one of those poeple.
 
use the in game demo system then record that so you dont have to play at low fps.. that is what most ppl do... never heard of using it while playing.. I cant play at 30 fps..

If there is an in game demo system on the games I play I might utilize that option, however not every game has this. So as good of a suggestion as that may be, it's useless in many different aspects.

egh fuck my explanation of the FPS just click the link below!

For more info check this source
 
Thats an illusion mostly caused by motion blur to help mask low frame rates, similar to the way motion blur on recorded film masks the low frame rate of only ~24-25 fps.

I find Crysis to be completely unplayable @ 30FPS or lower.

Indeed, 32FPS feels really unplayable to me.
 
It's not so much how it looks per se, it actually looks quite smooth, it's the responsiveness of the controls, it greatly effects my ability to aim, without overshooting and then having to correct.
 
For the years I played CS all the time and in competition I used FRAPS and used Adobe Premiere. Those two combined were my favorite of anything, but you do take the hit when playing & recording. The only suggestion I can make is just lower the settings more that you record at, or maybe upgrade your system to be able to handle playing & recording at the same time.
 
I bought fraps and have used it for a bunch of different in-game movies.

I have it record at a set FPS usually around 30 to keep the file size down as raw video takes up many gigs and all that harddisk writing lowers performance. Due to how video compression messes with image quality I lower the game resolution first, even to like 800x600, since the end video will be around that size anyway. Then I compress using double-pass xvid w/ lame mp3.
 
Technically my system should be able to run fraps, record, and game at the same time and still have decent gameplay quality, which it does. I can play CS:s all day just for example. So it's not that per say, I'm just trying to figure out what you guys use and how ya go about it ;), thanks for the advice! I just hate playing at lower settings on this monitor because it's 1:1, so it feels weird :D
 
Back
Top