FRAPS compression?

EnvymeRT

Limp Gawd
I've been doing alot of recording with FRAPS lately many 30GB+ files, what would be the best program to shrink these down without compromising quality?

Some of the free software turns the stuff into crap :(

Now that I have a nice setup ....I was thinking of making movies of the games, as well as home movies, of the wife and myself and kids (sooner than later). If you guys could recommend any software I would appreciate it.

Also I am on the fence about buying a mac due to these factors as well as my wife wanting one....... because all her "cool" friends have one.

Definitely try handbrake. You can either leave settings at default or get really advanced, especially with H.264.

Handbrake is definitely a good one. If the settings get overwhelming, I've made a few in windows movie Maker that turned out quite well. Very simple to where you just add the file, choose aspect ratio, and save with the high definition preset.

instead of fraps, give dxtory a try. Google "planetside 2 dxtory" and it will take you to a very nice guide for setting it up. However dont use the x264 codec as popular video editing software such as sony vegas and adobe premiere do not seem to like it very much.

dxtory has some nice features that fraps doesnt. It can encode on the fly. It doesnt lock your recording framerate to your game framerate. The filesize is a fraction of FRAPS at, but it does come with a slight quality sacrafice. Its more than tolerable for me.

Sony vegas was what I settled on after months if trying different software. After looking at some settings online, I was able to turn 300+GB of files into about 15 gb, and probably could go further

damn thanks for all the advice, I know Sony Vegas is good, as I used it way back for WoW raid videos/tutorials but its expensive.

You should switch to D3Dgear for recording. It can record directly to H.264, WMV, or Motion JPEG. File sizes are dramatically better and performance is a small hit compared to fraps.

Also has more features for livestreaming, etc.

I bought Fraps several years ago and it has served me well, but I have seen Dxtory being mentioned more and more in forum discussions so I decided to give it a try. Wow I was so impressed I bought it, I like the fact it will record your game and not affect your framerate while you capture and as long as you use the Dxtory codec my copy of Sony Vegas Pro can open the files for editing.

Thanks to everyone that mentioned Dxtory

Back