• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Frankenspeakers: Question about combining sets

wonkman

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 31, 2005
Messages
336
I am the not-so-proud owner of a set of Klipsch Promedia Ultra 5.1 with an apparent blown amp. They lasted 2 years and a week. :(

So now I have several options:

1. Repair for $80 plus shipping
2. Buy the Logitech z-5500 and set the whole system up
3. Buy the Logitech z-5500 but use only the sub with the Klipsch speakers

I think the only thing that would make the speakers incompatable would be a different speaker impedance. The klipsch is 4ohms minimum. But then again, I don't know much about audio stuff. I've heard the Klipsch speakers may be better for highs because of the tweeters.

I don't think I'll go the repair route because there is only 90 days warranty on the repair.Any idea if this mixed setup will work or if it's a good idea?
 
repair the pm ultras. honestly, do you like farty bass and lack of mids and crappy musical quality?
 
you'll be paying essentially $80 for a subwoofer. only difference is shipping may take possibly take longer, but other than that how could you go wrong?
 
superlyduper said:
you'll be paying essentially $80 for a subwoofer. only difference is shipping may take possibly take longer, but other than that how could you go wrong?

That's what I was thinking 2 years ago when I bought them. How could I go wrong? But here I sit with a fried amp.

The repair is going to cost at least $100 with shipping and there will be a wait. For $225 I can get the Z-5500 and a new warranty (2 years I think). They lack the fidelity of the Klipsch but have more 'punch' in movies and games.

I'm just wondering if I should use the Klipsch speakers or the logitech. I guess I won't know until I try it. But could anything be damaged by doing this?
 
Xeero said:
repair the pm ultras. honestly, do you like farty bass and lack of mids and crappy musical quality?

I don't like anything farty or crappy!
 
you left out an option.

Check the phone book and see if there is someone in your area that can fix your Klipsch for you. ;)
 
Pay to have them fixed, why pay 2x the price for an inferior product. I know the allure of somthing new and shiney can be tempting. But it's like buying a new car because your transmission went out. It's almost always cheaper/better to repair shit.

Regards,
Mike
 
Back
Top