Frankenspeakers: Question about combining sets

wonkman

Limp Gawd
I am the not-so-proud owner of a set of Klipsch Promedia Ultra 5.1 with an apparent blown amp. They lasted 2 years and a week. :(

So now I have several options:

1. Repair for $80 plus shipping
2. Buy the Logitech z-5500 and set the whole system up
3. Buy the Logitech z-5500 but use only the sub with the Klipsch speakers

I think the only thing that would make the speakers incompatable would be a different speaker impedance. The klipsch is 4ohms minimum. But then again, I don't know much about audio stuff. I've heard the Klipsch speakers may be better for highs because of the tweeters.

I don't think I'll go the repair route because there is only 90 days warranty on the repair.Any idea if this mixed setup will work or if it's a good idea?

Xeero

Gawd
repair the pm ultras. honestly, do you like farty bass and lack of mids and crappy musical quality?

you'll be paying essentially $80 for a subwoofer. only difference is shipping may take possibly take longer, but other than that how could you go wrong?

wonkman

Limp Gawd
superlyduper said:
you'll be paying essentially $80 for a subwoofer. only difference is shipping may take possibly take longer, but other than that how could you go wrong?

That's what I was thinking 2 years ago when I bought them. How could I go wrong? But here I sit with a fried amp.

The repair is going to cost at least $100 with shipping and there will be a wait. For $225 I can get the Z-5500 and a new warranty (2 years I think). They lack the fidelity of the Klipsch but have more 'punch' in movies and games.

I'm just wondering if I should use the Klipsch speakers or the logitech. I guess I won't know until I try it. But could anything be damaged by doing this?

wonkman

Limp Gawd
Xeero said:
repair the pm ultras. honestly, do you like farty bass and lack of mids and crappy musical quality?

I don't like anything farty or crappy!

Mister X

Supreme [H]ardness
you left out an option.

Check the phone book and see if there is someone in your area that can fix your Klipsch for you. ;)

Elderblaze

Limp Gawd
Pay to have them fixed, why pay 2x the price for an inferior product. I know the allure of somthing new and shiney can be tempting. But it's like buying a new car because your transmission went out. It's almost always cheaper/better to repair shit.

Regards,
Mike